Savage ML II results

I just ordered the SS scoped model yesterday...I can'rt wait!

Anyone have load data for that one? Or are they all the same? Sorry for newbie question; I'm very, very new to blackpowder :o

The stainless barrel is more rough than the blued.
It is too bad that Savage doesn't clean those bores up because these are great rifles. Although, as mentioned, it is not too much trouble to smooth out the bore.
I bought the blued with plastic stock Savage in 2003. This was before the accutrigger came out.
I have killed 3 deer with mine.
The first was with 43 grains of VV N110 and the 250 XTP.
The second two were with the same powder and the 250 SST.
I get 1 1/2 inch groups with the SST, and the XTP is slightly more accurate.
It is great to not have to clean after shooting. In fact, I killed a buck last November, and still have not cleaned my rifle!

The 4227 used to be a recommended powder but is now discredited, due to misfires. I dumped 3/4 of a pound of 4227 into the tomato patch.

I love the Savage.
One big advantage of this rifle is that aftermarket stocks are available from Richards microfit at rifle-stocks.com
This is because it is the same stock as used for the Savage centerfire rifle.
I am going to get a nice curly maple stock for my rifle.

Scrap 5000: A load that almost everybody gets good results with is 43 gr of VihtaVouri N110 and the 250 XTP.
You can order a box of 100 of the 250 XTP from Cabelas, and get the sabots from MMP.
This is also the cheapest load available for the Savage.
DO NOT use Remington primers.
I like Winchester.

Last edited:
Those are the right bullets.
As to the sabots, I am not sure. My MMP sabots are for either the .451 or the .452.
If I were you I would do what I did, contact MMP. They are very knowledgable about the Savage and will do you right. You can order directly from them.

Very important to get the right bullet and sabot for the Savage, it is a finicky beast.

Though the 250 XTP is very accurate and cheap, and thouands of deer have been killed with them with the Savage, a lot of guys are moving up to the 300 XTP for hunting.
The Savage drives the bullet so fast that sometimes the 250 will blow up if it hits the shoulder of a real big buck. Better penetration with the bigger bullet.
You could get a box of 250s and get the gun sighted in, and to use for cheap range work, and get a box of 300s for hunting.

Look at the stock you can get for the Savage.
Damn that would look good on my rifle. I am saving my nickels.
Richards Microfit does not make stocks for muzzleloaders per se, they make them for prominent bolt guns. You can get one for the 98K Mauser. You can get one for the Savage bolt action rifle, which also fits the muzzleloader.

Rollover_LH_Side_Color_75dpi.jpg

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/sporter_hunting_styles.htm

Back