Savage fcp bolt

"Bolt lug recces is in the receiver, not the barrel. Lock up has nothign to do with the back of the barrel. "
Depends on brand/model. Some rifles have the bolt fit snug against the back end of the barrel OR a shoulder in the receiver then the chamber is cut.
As I said, the Savage will/may have a gap between the end of the barrel and the bolt head allowing the bolt to have some fore/aft movement in the bolt lug recesses.

Head space is what all of .004? Even if you move to file reject you aren't going to have ..012 movement and you can't feel or even force the small amount really there if its set right.

"Head space is what all of .004? Even if you move to file reject you aren't going to have ..012 movement and you can't feel or even force the small amount really there if its set right."

Not applicable with the Savage design. A "short chamber" could result in a noticeable gap between bolt head and barrel. Headspace is only applicable if a case is chambered.

Better always be clearance between the bolt nose and breech- whether it's an M700, Savage, or whatever. Otherwise any minor smidge of dirt of foreign matter will prevent lockup.
On 700's with the bolt nose recess you still want min. .005 clearance.

A simple indicator setup will show this.

And the mechanical restriction on the bolt, it does not keep going forward regardless.

The lip of the barrel has a direct relationship between head space.

Regardless, mine are unloaded when tested, no brass in the chamber and there is no movement.,

Found a piece of brass and a couple of minutes. Chambered it there is no movement any direction. Now as soon as my molds and gas checks show up I can start some sample loads.

Well, I'm not going to continue to argue what are facts.

Just because one can't "feel" it, doesn't mean there isn't forward bolt movement...which IS there.
You're not going to "feel" .005 of an inch- but I guarantee you an indicator will show movement- in all directions.

Like talking to a wall...

I did put an indicator on it no movement just pushing with my fingers. I would imagine if I put some force to it I probably could get it to move. I'm a machinst by trade and yes some of us can feel .005 movement.

Like talking to a wall...

Thank you. I have had people try to smoke me all my life. Happy to be called stubborn.

hnusz report .012 movement. If he can't feel it then fine.

If he can, then its of concern.

I can feel it move with a empty chamber. Checked it it moves. 012. With brass in the chamber no movement.

Got it, also checked mine with empty chambers, no movement detected.

Also work with machinery and familiar with clearances and do know what .005 is.

Crank shaft on an engine has about that much movement.

Back