Savage Arms (the business) for sale.

I have always been a Savage fan. Recently, their rifles just don't make sense. They should have kept the non accutrigger 110 and the Stephens. They were better guns to compete with Ruger American, A bolt Browning, etc. than Axis is. Their mid priced guns are overpriced. Their high priced rifles are ugly for guns at that price point.

100% agree. The axis took cost cutting to a whole new level. I bought one for my son, really just to be an action donor project rifle. Lo and behold they changed the recoil lug design to one embedded in the stock, and that stock is even worse than the ones on the Stevens rifles. I finally did get it to shoot. It's a 1k yard rifle now. But not what I was expecting at all.

I often wonder if some random gun-nut could not do a better job running a company like savage than some Harvard MBA.

I often wonder if you arent right. Yet a lot of the stuff I like, and think others would like, would probably be cost prohibitive at a mass market scale. There's a reason why deep blued finishes and walnut stocks aren't common these days. People may like them, but many aren't willing to drop the money required to have one. Not.when you can buy an AR for not.much more than a savage axis.

Last edited:
Wouldn't that be cool. I often wonder if some random gun-nut could not do a better job running a company like savage than some Harvard MBA.
I think a gun nut with business experience at the helm would do them a lot of good. At least then they would offer products us other gun nuts want...

Tony

I think a gun nut with business experience at the helm would do them a lot of good. At least then they would offer products us other gun nuts want...

Exactly. They seem to have taken the route of Washington DC. Lots of thinking about doing something with little experience actually doing anything.

I'm not so sure "jumping" late into the AR market made that much difference. They probably didn't manufacture / machine one part for their AR line, most companies don't. I worked at a place near me that machined AR15 parts. They don't make a completed rifle under their name, they make them for other companies. Lots of other companies. Ruger, S&W, Bushmaster, Colt, etc. etc. They have four benches in the packaging dept. Pallets and totes and boxes filled up with AR parts, then boxed into other companies labels. I watched one day, a lady placing AR parts into a box with the Ruger logo on it, sealed it, grabbed a box with the Smith & Wesson logo on it and filled it from the very same tote the Ruger parts came from. They are all the same parts! The only thing different is the logo stamped on the receiver. And the receivers are made in the same place, on the same machine, by the same operator, just stamped differently after it comes out of the CNC machine. Sure, some companies have "specialized parts" only available on their AR, but most are generic, coming from only a handful of "no name" companies.

A problem for rifle companies who focus or who have focussed on bolt-action hunting rifles is two-fold: First, a hunting rifle lasts beyond a lifetime. Second, the percentage of the population which hunts with bolt-action rifles is not growing to any notable degree.

It seems to me that this leads to all manner of shenanigans to maintain a profitable rate of sales. Tricky names on slightly different models of some rifle; internal cost-cutting, etc.

Egads, this reeks of Harley Davidson!
Slightly different paint color is a new model.
And a production company should not have more lawyers on the payroll than engineers.

Who's in charge of this outfit?

I probably wouldn't be a success as a CEO, away hunting and fishing too much. Heck, I barely kept my ranger job!!!

But I do think that a gun company should make guns and ammo, ....period. When you see firearms mfg's companies branching out into other markets, I take it as a warning sign. We can't sell enough guns, so lets sell, clothes, cleaning supplies, knives boots....you name it. Pretty soon the outfits up for sale.

Colt is an example of a company that got out of touch with its consumers, and Bill Ruger Sr., cashed in big time with the SA revolver. Remington went the multi product route, and in my book their firearms have not been the same since (1980's?). Winchester went multiproduct, and is gone as we once knew them too.

I sure don't think we need another price point poly rifle. There are so many now, I can't keep up. And I wonder......could the advent of the pricepoint rifle be more driven by the greed of mfg's and CEO's to overly maximize profit? Labor and materials are high priced items these days, and I have no basis for that other than common sense. Everything costs more. But at least on the surface, the boutique custom and semicustom shops that turn out good, higher priced guns, still are doing fine. Kimber, Cooper, Bergara and likely others still make good, hiqh quality guns, and folks plunk down lots of cash to own them.

might want to read this

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/ind...s-brands-including-bell-giro-and#.XALDUuJlA64

In case you don't read it

In the quarter, sales were $571 million, down 1 percent from the prior-year quarter. The company said the decline was caused by lower prices across all ammunition categories due to market conditions, and lower sales in hydration, optics and water sports. It said those declines were partially offset by increased firearms sales due to a product refresh and improved sales in outdoor cooking and its sports protection business.

Last edited:
There was a piece in the paper earlier in the week the firearms sales were down 10%. That's a pretty bad hit across the board. I have several Savage bolt action 110's. You can see the improvement is fit and finish over the years. My entry level rifle is a Ruger American. If we had a particle machine we could make an American. We'd drop an Brown A bolt and Tikka T3 into our machine and a Ruger American would fall out. On the down side look at the Axis compared to Ruger, Marlin, Mossberg and T/C entry level rifles.

Back