Savage Arms (the business) for sale.

std7mag

I don't have the link, but had just read about Vista Outdoors selling the Savage Arms.

Potential speculation is Sig Sauer purchasing them.

I heard that over the summer . I hope the new ownership don’t ruin it like freedom group did to Remington and marlin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure now that the Presidency has changed they are suffering from slow sales like many firearms manufactures. I'm not sure it was a smart business decision to offer AR style rifles so late in the game, and with such a glut of them in the market. It's a move to keep shareholders happy I'm sure.

I'm sure now that the Presidency has changed they are suffering from slow sales like many firearms manufactures. I'm not sure it was a smart business decision to offer AR style rifles so late in the game, and with such a glut of them in the market. It's a move to keep shareholders happy I'm sure.

Not only did they do the ar thing late but they are making so many variations of the model 110 too

The fact remains that they were almost giving away rifles for a while, with rebates and sales, and then they jumped into an already heavily saturated AR market. Then they spent all that money with their new logo. Dumb moves.

Savage went down the tubes in 80-90? They were in somekind of holder ship
before they were reorganized and used 110 series rifle to climb out of the hole. I
don't know how many owners they have been through since. I don't like the new Savage products so I don't pay much attention to them. The last Savage that I looked at was the "thing" they put out to replace the 24 series O/U.

Savage has made some questionable moves the past couple years, but they suffer from the same affliction Kel-Tec does: Rugeritis. Ruger takes a decent design for the Axis, improves it in a few places, and makes a far better rifle for a few dollars more. When I think about buying a bolt action for under 400, I look at Ruger, not Savage.

Now when I saw a 6.5 Creedmore Axis for $250 after rebate for Black Friday, that turns my head, but I'm not that impulsive. If the price stayed at $250 with rebate until New Year's, I'd buy one.

Anyway, when it comes to Savage and Kel-Tec, KT has the advantage because they don't just make bolt action rifles like Savage mostly does and the designs of the guns Kel Tec makes are what sell them. When all you make is a generic bolt action or entry level AR, you're not gonna get much attention from buyers at the gun store.

About the only thing Savage has made that made me think about them was the over/under Model 42 (that is way overpriced) and the single shot break action shotguns they came out with last year that nobody in any shotgun thread of any forum I've been to has talked about since the news broke they were making single shot shotguns.

I mean, that should be a big deal that someone is still making an affordable single shot shotgun, but it was quickly forgotten and Savage needs a better marketing team.

I like Savage as you can turn them into great project guns!

In my case, 3 x Bull Barrel. Low cost to a high quality setup as I can do my own barrel off and on.

Not bench rest accurate but I keep getting better.

The Acu Trigger with the Varmint spring is a decent recreational target shooting trigger. Havn't been able to get my hands on a Red Blade.

On the other hand the supply is there now.....

The move into ARs was dumb, who said corporations were smart?

I think they would be a great adder for Sig, but Sig has an image. Hard telling if they would want to meld that.

Issue now is everyone has low cost bolt actions. $300 or so and sometimes less and off you go. Not a great rifle but good enough for hunting.

Savage has some issue with magazine feed and the ejector system. I don't care for my use, hunters might though most are one shot and score or not.

I do like the knurled nut and top bolt release models.

I love me some Savage rifles but I’ll never own one of their “synthetic” (plastic) stocked guns. I’d like a 22-250 in a model 14.

Savage has two plants one here other Canada for rimfire. That was done before Vista purchase them. That could be one of the problems.

I love me some Savage rifles but I’ll never own one of their “synthetic” (plastic) stocked guns. I’d like a 22-250 in a model 14.

I have a model 114 in 30-06 . The model 14/114 are the best looking savages ever

I have always been a Savage fan. Recently, their rifles just don't make sense. They should have kept the non accutrigger 110 and the Stephens. They were better guns to compete with Ruger American, A bolt Browning, etc. than Axis is. Their mid priced guns are overpriced. Their high priced rifles are ugly for guns at that price point.

I have a Savage Striker handgun. I give it points for different and price, when new, was reasonable. It is not all that great a gun, but; it got my attention and I kept it. I read a comparison between KalTec and Savage. I do not see any parallel here. If I had any input for Savage, it would be to get a more creative or inventive with the product line. Exactly what product is over my pay grade. A single shots like old favorite. A big bore rifle based on the bolt action shotgun. It take a lot more than inertia to be successful in business. Or just the opposite. I am no Henry fanboy, but; they are not sitting still. There is no reason in the world I would ever buy a new Savage.

A partnership offer to a top design engineer might go a long way. KalTec must have some good engineering to offer all the product they dream up.

I have a Savage Striker handgun. I give it points for different and price, when new, was reasonable. It is not all that great a gun, but; it got my attention and I kept it. I read a comparison between KalTec and Savage. I do not see any parallel here. If I had any input for Savage, it would be to get a more creative or inventive with the product line. Exactly what product is over my pay grade. A single shots like old favorite. A big bore rifle based on the bolt action shotgun. It take a lot more than inertia to be successful in business. Or just the opposite. I am no Henry fanboy, but; they are not sitting still. There is no reason in the world I would ever buy a new Savage.

A partnership offer to a top design engineer might go a long way. KalTec must have some good engineering to offer all the product they dream up.
My point comparing the two was both companies make low priced guns that got copied by Ruger, who improved upon the designs the other company made, and took business away from them. In Savage's case it was the Ruger American, in Kel Tec's it was the LCP/LC9.

Thing is Kel Tec has more diversity of guns they sell and innovated designs while Savage makes a variety of bolt actions and a few shotguns. With Savage, their line of bolt actions never takes the top spot depending on their price range; for budget bolt actions, again Ruger makes a better rifle, for mid range bolt rifle Howa/Tikka make a better rifle for the same money, and so on.

When you don't come in first place in any category for bolt actions and 90% of what you make is bolt actions, you're not going to succeed for very long and when people are looking for a new rifle and can spend a few bucks more on something better, they will. If the only thing you can deliver is the cheapest bolt action on the market that's reasonably good, you can't really pull in enough money to invest it in other product lines cuz your profits from the cheap rifle sales aren't going to be enough to fund it.

It's a vicious cycle Savage found itself in, but being sold and new management I think will help the brand.

Last edited:
Back