Savage 111 born again

I have a brand new 2-10X42 VX5 I could throw on it, or a couple of 4-12X40 scopes. I'm really looking for a scope with a top end a little higher than either of my current options.
5HD is the best scope I've ever used. I have the x35 on my 338 LM but a x24 would do just fine on a creedmoor I would imagine.

I recently saw a Savage 111 in 300 win mag with an aftermarket stock on it at a pwn shop. Barrel looked decent, some signs of use. EGW rail on it and it was priced for 299. Was it worth jumping on?

That's because the cartridge is the same. The chamber is different.
And the difference is in the standardizing body. SAAMI vs CIP.
Think 6.5-284 Win, and 6.5-284 Norma.
223 Rem vs 5.56 NATO.

Taylorce,

Factory ammo? Really?! :rolleyes:
We've seen the quality of your firearms.
Like putting 87 Octane in your Lambo... :eek:

And while Chinese made, you may want to take a look at Arken Optics.
Been getting great reviews, under $600, they have MOA reticles, zero stop, and 0.5% tracking gaurantee.

I have 22BR and I've had 6BR. Neither one was spec. I neck down Rem 7BR brass for 22BR and I have reamer for 22BR and life time supply Rem 7BR brass and nickel cases.

When they came out with 6BR Norma that killed Rem case.

If you're talking the "original" 6mm BR and the spec 6mm BR Norma--which is why it's hard to tell what you actually are getting when you buy stuff, since the 6mm BR has more or less been replaced by the Norma, and now it's not uncommon that "6mm BR Norma" name is used to refer to both. The Wilson case gage I bought is called "6mm BR short" and a Norma case will protrude from the neck datum as a result of the longer neck to accommodate the bullets seated further out into the longer throated 6mm BR Norma chamber.

Last edited:
getting back on topic--I decided to bed the forend of the Hogue stock because the aluminum bed was just too thin in the forend and the flex was about as bad as on a Tupperware stock. Hope to see some improvement.

Stag,
We need to get that rifle some color coordination. ;)

I can't believe your wearing that color scope, with that barrel, and action...
It's after Memorial Day for hecks sake! :eek:

We need to get that rifle some color coordination.
You have a can or two of pink cerokote left over?:)
What powder and bullet you going to use 280AI?
I started off with H1000 since I have an 8lbr--but it is going fast since it's my go-to for my 338LM so it's time to try something else. Any recommendations? Also, I made the mistake of ordering a full-length bushing die when I now think I should just use a neck sizer die on the fired cases. I'm also looking for a chamber case guage but nobody seems to make them--the closest solution I could find is PTG's "284 family" gauge. I just tried 162 eldm's--got so-so results but I'm still tweaking the stock and my shooting technique so a lot of that may be me.

I've also figured out that the chamber has a pretty long freebore/throat; so much so that unless the bullet design has a pretty far forward base of ogive in order to get it close to the lands I have to seat long skinny things like vld's way past what the magazine can accommodate--so it looks like this may become a single shot hand feed.

Last edited:
Winds have been blasting for the past 4 days--looks like we might get a break today and backing off to a (light for here on the coast) 8 to 14. If I have time to load some stuff up I'll give it another try.

stagpanther, I've been having good luck with IMR-7828ssc and I use mine for hunting. I had it custom throated and seater made from chamber reamer.

Not much help.

std7mag said:
Taylorce,

Factory ammo? Really?! 
We've seen the quality of your firearms. 
Like putting 87 Octane in your Lambo... 

Thanks for the compliment on my rifles.

Unfortunately making a living 100% on call 24/7 or living out of state 5 days a week are my only options right now. Plus averaging 60+ hours a week through the month doesn't help. I'd just rather spend my time shooting when I get the chance vs. load development/reloading. I've seriously looked at the custom ammunition route, but it's really expensive about $5-600 for the first 100 rounds of developed ammunition. I'll have to go that direction with a couple of rifles, but I cant afford to do it with all of them.

I recently saw a Savage 111 in 300 win mag with an aftermarket stock on it at a pwn shop. Barrel looked decent, some signs of use. EGW rail on it and it was priced for 299. Was it worth jumping on?
Sorry--didn't see your post til now. I have a 111 in 300 win mag--a LRH--and it has been a consistent shooter for years. If the receiver/bolt is in good shape and the barrel is good I'd be tempted if I didn't already have one. I'd avoid one with the bottom bolt release (not sure if they even ever made them that way)--makes it a PITA if you want to replace the stock. Sounds like a good buy to me--even if you have to replace the barrel.

Back