Savage 110

toolguy2006

I have been playing with the idea of a new rifle for long-ish range shooting. My budget is limited, so I was looking for a banged up Remington 700 that I could upgrade and accurize as time and money allowed. Locally there are not one, but two savage model 110's for sale for less than $350, which seems awful cheap for a decent rifle. I know absolutely nothing about Savage rifles, so the question is:

Would a Savage 110 make a good start for an accurized rifle?

Is there a large aftermarket availability for these rifles? (stocks, bolts, etc)

The dream is that eventually this rifle would end up with an aftermarket barrel, McMillan stock, and necessary work to make a good shooter out to at least 500 yards. I say 500 because that is the longest range I know of within driving distance of my house.

The Savage 110 would be a very good action for the rifle you want to build. There are many after markets parts available including barrels, stocks, triggers, bolts and bolt heads.

Savages have plenty of aftermarket support. They are easier to change barrels on your own than a Remington. I've noticed a few products that you are supposed to be able to change a Remington barrel by yourself, but I haven't heard much about them.

I'm building a Savage 10 (short action, as opposed to the 110 being long action) into a .260 Rem for long range work. I'm basically left with changing out the barrel and it should be complete.

If you search here, you will find lots of people who have started with Savage actions and ended up with great results.

In my opinion ... For what its worth savage makes the most accurate base model rifle out of the box with most shooting moa with ammo it likes. I own a 308 243 and a 17hmr all will shoot moa and the savage 10 308 will cloverleaf at 100yds all day with match ammo. The 243 is the bargain priced axis model and even it shoots moa. 350 is a good deal and if u wanna upgrade it you can get a nice douglass barrell for under 400

Last edited:
The Savage 110 is a great platform for that project. It easily has as much, if not more aftermarket support than the Remington 700. Triggers, barrels, stocks are all readily available and most rifle-smiths understand the platform. One good thing about using the long action for a custom project is that when Savage started tinkering with upgrades to the action several years ago, they didn't change the action bolt spacing on the long action. When they went from a staggerfeed magazine to a centerfeed magazine, the short action screw spacing changed, but the long action spacing remained. Almost every custom stock maker makes stocks for the 110 action.

I just bought a Savage 10 Scout rifle to use for the "donor" action- going to sell the lightweight stock and barrel off it to recoup some costs towards the new benchrest stock and bull barrel.

I almost- and you should consider this as well if you're about to drop $350 on a used Savage- bought one of the Savage "package" rifles that are sold at Wally World. Saw a 30-.06 there, with Accutrigger and scope- for $390.00

Hell of a deal. Sell the plastic stock, cheap glass, and even the barrel if it's not what you want on Ebay, keep the Accutrigger action for very little $$.

I have a Savage 30-06 - its my primary hunting rifle and it works great. The Savage 110's are genuine work-horses. Not real sexy, but good solid shooting tools.

done that

Yeah, my long range F-T/R rifle was initially a $175 beater Savage 110 bought solely for the action. A used heavy barrel and a new stock came first, along with good bases and rings. A vintage Weaver K12 was on hand for glass. Swapped the big bolt handle/knob off an early Savage Scout.

Upgraded the glass next, later the trigger to a Rifle Basix. Recently got a dandy XL bolt handle, and the Scout got its OEM handle back.

It is a monster, whose sole purpose in life is to lob .308, 175 gr Matchkings at 600 and 1000 yds. I just wish I could shoot up to its capability.

Savage will be the best value for your dollar for what you seek. You can even grab a stevens 200 for even less money... same as the savage but doesn't have the accutrigger. They can be picked up for under 300 bucks in some places.

500 yards is chip-shot range for a decent shooter weilding a good rifle with good glass.

The accuracy of the 110 knows' no boundary's dude. Mine shoots better than most rifles I have owned, sometimes .217 at 100 yds. Now I can't shoot that well every time, but I'm pretty sure that my rifle can.;) I got mine for a song, and I just shot my first deer with it yesterday.( it can be seen on the third page of the 2011 Deer Harvest thread in the Hunt section) I think you could build, for decent money a "Badass" longrange rifle out of the Savage 110.....

JUST Do It!!!:)

Yep

I hunted for years with a Savage 110 chambered in 30 06 it was a very accurate dependable Rifle. I took alot of game with it, now it belongs to my Son, and he has taken alot of game with it too.
I recomend them very much.:)

If you are looking for a long range rifle the most important part is the trigger IMHO, you could spend $200 for a aftermarket trigger that is ALMOST as good as the Accurtigger. The Accutrigger is a must and only comes on Savages. Savage is known for one of the most accurate barrels and actions coming right off the factory floor and is the easiest to swap out. Stocks, well that might be another story but are really decent (not great).

I have three, 223, 243 and 270 and all are great without problems.

It is a good platform to build on.

Jim

SAM_0245.jpg

SAM_0470.jpg

SAM_0447.jpg

You can't go wrong with a Savage 110. I have the shorter action Savage 10FCP in .308 and from the factory, it makes sub 1/2" five shot groups @ 100 yds with my loads when I shoot consistently.

While you can buy some other rifle and then spend time and money making it shoot, why would you when Savage offers a better and lower priced solution?

Last edited:
.30-06 Hunting rifle.

We plink with a Savage 110 rifle in .30-06 at the farm. Our max yardage is 210 yds so hitting your target be it paper, milk jugs or steel is lots of fun.
These shots were from Remington 150 gr. 'ballistic" ammo (green tip) @ 210 yds. Nothing fancy scope wise (an inexpensive 3x9x40 Bushnell)

IMG_0815copy.jpg

I have a 110 lefty in 25-06.

Out of the box with a cheap Bushnel scope (package deal) it shot fantastic groups at 100 yds.

I have since swapped to a Leupold Mark 4 (6-20x50 with FFP) and can consistently do 18" groups to 300 yds......I have recently found a 500 yd range near me and will soon be using it.

The rifle is way more accurate than my old eyes can shoot.

I think my rifle is sexy despite what others say. I will take function over form any day.....and it did not break the bank...the scope almost did.;)

Personally I think the Savage 110 or 10 if a newer short action one is the way to go over a Remington 700. I think you will be much better off with the Savage.

That said, I think $350 is probably a little high and if it doesn't have the accu trigger it's way too high. They sell them at Walmart for $400 with the accu trigger, and a cheap scope. Unless you can find a used one for a lot cheaper, it's they way to go imo, then just sell off a cheap scope and put a decent one on it.

As for the above poster, I hope the 18" groups at 300 yards was a typo. That's 6 MOA, which is horrible. Everyone I've shot has been a sub moa gun out of the box with handloads and at least a MOA and usually sub moa gun with factory ammo. These rifles really just are amazing and I have a feeling you will be impressed.

Back