Savage 110 or "hunterized" 1903?

The thick plottens...

I've continued looking at local pawn shops and I've found two more savages. Both pre-accutrigger, in 30-06, and both selling for 275.

I'll be going back to the shop to look at the 03 on sunday. I need to give it a more thorough once over and check the serial number.

Should an '03 barrel be free floated?

Buy the Springfield!!!!!!!!!!!

My bestest friend JUST sold his Savage 110 custom stock with a tasco 3-9x33 for $250... They're a dime a dozen and always will be!

BUY THE SPRINGFIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

1903 all the way, i've had 2 beutiful sporter's, the one i currently own has been hot blued, new barrel, william's iron sight's,scope mount's and a beutiful custom sporter stock, and i payed 250$ for it.

I've continued looking at local pawn shops and I've found two more savages. Both pre-accutrigger, in 30-06, and both selling for 275.
Does this give a indication of true value....chuckle. Not bad rifles, just not as good as...
Should an '03 barrel be free floated?
It would be nice if it is..but who knows?
elkman06
In the grand scheme of collecting weaponry..the Savages are a dime a dozen. Time is running out on the Springfields..

You didn't mention if the 1903 is drilled and tapped for scope mounting. If it is not, I assume you would need to have that done. I assume again that you plan on using a scope on this rifle. Drilling and tapping would add cost to the 1903.

Does the 1903 stock have a recoil pad on it? if not I can tell you from experience that a sporterized 1903 stock will have some kick to it. Not like a Mosin Nagant, but more than a military stocked 1903.

Is the Savage a synthetic stock or wooden? Wooden stocks on the Savage 110 are notoriously unattractive. However, Savage synthetic stocks on the entry level models are notoriously flimsy.

You mention target shooting as well as hunting. Neither rifle is very well suited for target shooting. Both have thin profile barrels that will heat up after just a few rounds.

I think the odds are high that the Savage would be more accurate. I had a 110 in .223 and it was more accurate than my Winchester 70.

All in all, if precision accuracy is the issue, get the Savage. If looks and personality play a big role in your decision, get the 1903.

Chaz

If not drilled and tapped....

I would not have it done to the Springfield. There are fewer and fewer of these actions available in "original" condition, and a pristine action alone might be worth the money to someone interested in "restoring" a 1903 to GI configuration.

Older Savage 110s are ok rifles, but not high grade guns, and they have been improved in recent years. The extractor of the 110 is small, and has been known to fail (I had one do this, a brand new 110CL in .30-06), and getting a replacement part can take a lot longer than one would expect.

I would get the Springfield, because of what it is, and as others have said, you will be able to find the Savages around often. I have a Springfield completely redone into a .25-06, and it is quite a marvel.

I also would go for the Springfield, but only because I'm biased. I've got a Mk I sporter that is extremely accurate with my handloads. If it's not already drilled, don't drill it. Someday you might want to de-sporter it and there's no putting metal back in those holes. Mine was drilled 50 years ago, for a scope and a Lyman peep, so I guess I can't really complain.

No-drill scope mounts are easily found out there. But be a man...shoot with iron sights!

Serial Numbers

There were two groups making M1903s . Springfield the armory in Mass and Rock Island. The improperly heat treated receivers are in the serial number range up to 880,000 for Springfield and 250,000 for Rock Island.
Many people will caution against shooting these rifles.
The M1903A3 was made by two companies in the '40s. Remington and Smith Corona. These are all heat treated properly and should not be unsafe to shoot if in good mechanical condition.

well, sadly, I have to pass in the springfield. The stock is cracked nearly all the way around the grip. It doesn't wiggle or anything, but it is visibly cracked.. I really don't feel like buying the gun and then buying and bedding a new stock for it. The reciever is drilled and it has a scope on it. I think it may have been re-barreled as well.

It's a shame too, that stock fit my hand like a glove. I guess I'll keep looking.

Back