Savage 110 or "hunterized" 1903?

mcintosh02

I'm looking to get my first bolt gun. I am also looking to buy used and spend about 400 without glass.

My local shop has a plain jane 110 in .308 (my preferred round) for 375. They also have an extremely nice looking 1903 in 30-06 for 310. The 1903 has a deep flawless blueing and is set into a custom hunting stock with burl accents. Of course, the stock on the 1903 is cracked, but I'd be willing to bet that I can fix it. The savage is basically everything I want (except for a nice poilished blueing), but I can't get the 1903 out of my head.

The real question here is this: Which action/barrel is better for 100-300 yard precision shooting? I'll mostly be hunting with it, but longish range target shooting is certainly not out of the question.

Thanks.

The savage will probably be more accurate. The M1903 was a military rifle and while they are very accurate and more than adequate to hunt with it is not designed to be a tack driver.

With that said, if you really like the Springfield i would say get that. They are becoming more and more scarce these days and you can always buy a savage in the future. I would get the springfield

I'm going to do you absolutely no good, at all. ;)

The Savage would most likely best fit your needs, but I wouldn't pass up the Springfield, provided the action wasn't one of the low-numbered ones.

As the Gentleman just said "you can always get a Savage in the future...". Keep repeating this mantra as you remove your CC from your wallet (to ensure you also get bonus points on your Cabela's Visa card, along with that nice new rifle!) and BUY that 1903 !

I can always.... I can always..... I can always.... :D

If it really is a 1903 and not a 1903/A3, be sure and check the serial number. There is a magic serial number for 1903's and you DO NOT want to get one made before that number (metal is too weak to hold modern rounds).

I don't know what the market is like today, but over 300 for a sporterized 1903 seems like too much, unless it's in very nice condition.

get a stainless savage. why the heck wouldn't you. Accustock and accutrigger? Get all three of those. Do it!!!

Wait until you can get a stock 03A3 to treat nice and show off. Don't beat one up.

That '03 sounds real nice except for the crack in the stock. If it is just a crack and there's no wood missing you should be able to fix it and not tell it ever happened. I would get the '03 even if you have to buy a new stock.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm actually surprised nobody came right out and said, "Both!".

I went into the store looking for a plain used savage to bubba out with some camo paint. But once I saw that springfield I was totally into the "grandpa's rifle" look of the laquered wood and bright bluing.

I like the advice on the savage, you're right, it's not going anywhere.

Is the Savage a 110 or a 10. If it is an older 110 (long action) rifle chambered in 308 I would pass on both guns. $375 is too high for that gun. For around $300, maybe less you can get a true short action Stevens 200 or Marlin XS-7 brand new. A new Weatherby Vanguard will be under $400.

Searching this forum found that serial numbers above 800,000 are double heat treated (and thus considered safe for modern ammo).

I'm for the '03.

Be careful on what you use to repair the stock. I'm a big fan of epoxies, they can also ruin some finishes. Polyurethane glues like Gorilla Glue can ruin just about anything if you don't know what you're doing.

Springfield....

Assuming a good serial number I would pick the springfield.I personally would suggest it to be the much more accurate rifle for one main reason. The barrel.
Every 110 hunting type rifle I have been around has a pencil thin barrel as compared to the Springfield. I'm not sure how anyone could suggest that lighter and thinner would be better. All of the 110's I have shot in larger calibers(only 3) heated up quickly and would string shots. Some may have some better experiences w/ this
As most of this crowd seems to be more interested in long range target shooting, I would think a thin barrel would detract from that
rifleend.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]practice. elkman06

Springfield!

Savage lever-guns are kinda fascinating......but their bolt-guns don't charm me. As for Springfields......I just want one.

Savage would probably be a better shooter, the Springfield would definitely be more special.

The controlled feed on the 1903 is a thing of beauty in and of itself.

I'd go for the Springfield. The sporterized '03-A3 out shot my Savage 10 in .243 easily. Some of them had remarkable accuracy. $300 is a steal if it's a nice one.

Back