Savage 110, (mounts@rings for VX-1)

Even if your VX-I does hold zero, it won't have very clear glass compared to several other scopes in your price range and will suffer in low light compared to others in that price range. Doubtful it will hold zero for too long either, as myself and two friends bought them to try and all 3 of us had issues with it not holding zero after a while. One wouldn't work right out of the box. Maybe we just got bad scopes. Who knows. I will say though when you go on forums like The Optics Talk or Snipers Hide there are quite a few people who do not at all like Leupold for the same reasons I do. Infact it's rare to find someone who does like them. The one thing they do have is customer service that takes care of what they say they will when you purchase the product. This is the best part of them. Even in their VX-II and above you can get better glass from other companies for the same price. However, at least the VX-II and up are pretty decent scopes. It's the minimum I'd go with if I was going with a Leupold.

That's why I say I'd try to take it back if you can and at least get something with better glass for the same price or cheaper. If you can't take it back, just put it on as said and it may work fine for him. If it doesn't you can be sure Leupold will fix it in a timely manner unlike some other scope companies that try to be a huge hassle whenever warranty work is needed.

Wow I am shocked that the VX-1 is a bomber of a scope, and never thaught that Loupold would be a bad choice in anything.

Leupold VXI is a decent scope and I wouldn't worry about it. I've had one for five years now on my .243 Win in a 3-9X40. Holds zero just fine and I don't have the problems that have been stated here in this topic. VXI is old tech and probably should be brought up to date but then that would drive the price up.

The thing is htm got a bad taste and isn't able to shake it on Leupold scopes, no problme that is his opinion. I've never had a bad experience with Leupold's products or their customer service. If something is wrong with that scope the will fix it for free, no matter who owns it.

Well thanks for your advice,thoughts and pics folks. I received the Loupold STD 1 piece mout and rings today. Ran to my dads threw the Vx-1 on the gun and it fit and looked great. Took the gun to the range dialed her in.
After a good cool down, I was able to shoot a .89 group with cheap fedral ammo. My dad is definatly fealing confident in his huntig rifle this year.
Just hope that VX-1 doesn't spontaneously combust. :p

Back