Savage 110, (mounts@rings for VX-1)

J270

My Dad purcased a Savage 110 package combo at wally world. This pakage came with crap optics. My brother got him a Leupold VX-1 for his Birthday,
Needles to say the old mounts and rings got to go. Do you savage fans have any info to give ont the best way to go about it. I wanted to get two piece if poss. Any exper, on the leupold PRW mounts.

Thanks Jason

I've used the Weaver's, the Millet's the Redfields, the Tasco's, FOR THE MONEY,,, Leupold rings and bases for me every time here on out...They fit nice they look nice and more importantly I have yet to have a problem after hundreds of rnds...IMO, that's a fine rifle, as I have one myself in the 270 win. It has a VXII 3x9x40. Its silver on a blued rifle, I gave 150.00 for it used.( the rifle doesn't seem to care what finish the scope is) anyway happy shootin dad..

Thanks for coming!:cool:

TX Hunter is right,, I have a 1 piece on my 110 as we speak. It only covers the front hole of the rear base holes in the reciever, however IMO, it doesn't matter.. just use good thread-locker during install........

I have a Savage 111 GCNS in 30-06, and the problem is that most new scopes are made for the short action rifles where the 1" diameter tube is 6" or less. With the long action Savage you have to use an extended base on the front and turn it around so that it hangs over the ejection port. I tried a couple sets before I found one that worked.

If you want dovetail bases, the Leupold have the extension on the rear base which is useless, the scope has to be too far forward and way too high or the power ring interferes with the base, your cheek ends up nowhere near the stock. If you switch them the windage adjustment interferes with ejection. The Burris are your best bet, use the extended base on the front, it does not catch the brass:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=698651

For Weaver style bases, Ironsighter is the only one that makes extended bases that will work. Ejected brass hits the front mount, but does not hang up.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=112414

Actually I have four 110s... not even sure without checking..what I have on them for mounts.

savagestocks3.jpg

Wow thanks for the great responce!!!
The only reason I wanted two piece is because thats what was on the gun in the first place. Will the standard one piece work ok on a long action?

I have a long action 111F and the one piece works just fine. It doesnt even get in the way of loading( I dont have a magazine or a drop pan).

No offense, but the "crap" optics that came on the rifle are probably better than the Leupold VX-I he is going to put on there.

I've got a VX-I as well as the Simmons 8 Point Blazer that usually comes on the package guns. I've had to send my VX-I in for repair twice. Once it looked like the insides were shaking after each shot. The next time, it quit holding zero and moved around every couple of shots. When it does work it's not any clearer to me during the day than the Simmons or a $30 Tasco like on one of the above 110's I also have had. Friends actually said the Tasco looked clearer to them. Then in low light I did a side by side comparison with 2 Simmons and 2 Leupold VX-I's and in both cases I could see slightly more with the Simmons. Not to say that the Simmons are great scopes because they aren't. I've had much better scopes and seen a lot of better scopes. However, the Leupold VX-I isn't one of them. I'd see if he can return it for at least a VX-II if he wants to stay with a Leupold, or a Burris Fullfield II or Votex Diamondback if he wants a much better scope in the same price range and doesn't mind the brand.

As for the mounts, there are lots of good ones out there. Burris Zee rings have a great reputation. It all just depends on what you want to spend. Weavers for mounts and rings seem pretty decent if on a budget. Leupold and Redfield mounts and rings are also a good setup. There are just lots of good choices out there.

With a long action you'll need an extended base for mounting range of most scopes. I've been going with Dual Dovetail on Savage rifles lately. Leupold dual dovetail rings and Burris Dual dovetail bases.

Savage 110 270 win. Leupold bases,rings,scope

Here's mine, and in another few months it'll be killing deer!

Last edited:
I have five Savages.
Four have EWG one piece mounts and the 5th has a Ken Farrell one piece mount. All use Leupold QRW rings that allow them to return to zero.

Thanks for the pick Hooligan, Thants a nice rig. I cant tell but does that rifle have a flat rear reciever.

Weaver bases, Burris Zee rings. Not the cheapest, not the prettiest. They work, they last, they are easy to install correctly. In the Vari-X I price range I'd give the Redfield a try but a gift is a gift.

Wow I am shocked that the VX-1 is a bomber of a scope, and never thaught that Loupold would be a bad choice in anything.

Yes as a matter of fact it does have the flat rear reciever..And as you might have noticed it's missing the rear bolt baffle; I traded for this rifle and I didn't notice it as this is my first 110, I ordered one from Savage yesterday!!!!:D

Back