• Ruger m77 campct

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • savage 11 lightwieght hunter

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I already have a marlin 1894 in 44mag that can group under an inch at 100 but I want something to put a scope on and still be lite

The Ruger MKII International model, chambered in .308 Winchester, topped with a quality 1.5x5X scope, would make for a good set-up meeting the op's needs/wants.

Call me the odd ball here. I see brush, and waist deep muck stated, as well as reduced weight. I say short lever action in .30-30 Win. Perfect for heavy brush and muck. Will kill any deer that walks if you hit it in the correct spot.

I had one. Worked great until my ONLY shot at a doe one year (we have a very short doe season) was at 300 yds. Before the next season, I sold it and bought a Rem Model 7 .260. Same length. Same weight. FAR greater accuracy.

I read this thread earlier today and a question has been on my mind ever since. Why in the world would anybody slop through waist deep muck in a swamp just to shoot a deer? Honestly I can't fathom going through that for some venison. Come drive around in KS. Soon enough you'll hit one with your car or truck. Much less work.

Because in south Florida that's the only terain. We dont have the luxury of open fields of hard ground unless it's spring during turkey season

That would suck. But then we all have our geographical crosses to bear, so to speak. I'm guessing you never see -20*F with a wind chill of -60*F in the winter either in S. Florida. I don't care for venison enough to wade through your swamps or hunt in my ridiculous cold anyway. Last deer I got was a six point buck. Hit him almost perfect...with my wife's Jetta. That was an expensive deer.

And to keep this on track, I voted for the ruger. No surprise there for anyone who's read any of my posts.

To be honest I've never seen snow but would make an interesting hunt to go in the snow just because I wouldn't beable to expect what to expect. And my dealer said the rifle was 2 weeks out so I'll give me rage report when it comes

At 5.5 lbs ready for the field, the .30-30 lever action is arguably one of the best rifles for the conditions stated.

I have more than a dozen leverguns in assorted calibers. The lightest 30-30 is a 16" trapper model that weighs 6.5 lbs unloaded and with a mag full of ammo and strap is well over 7 lbs. Add about 1/2 lb to that for a standard 20" barrel. A levergun in 30-30 may well be a fine choice and one that I like, but they are NOT very light.

I own several bolt rifles in 308 that weigh between 5.75-6.5 lbs including scopes and mounts. A bolt rifle will do anything a levergun will, but with more accuracy, power, range, reliability, and with less weight and cost if you choose carefully.

I voted for the Ruger. I own both. The Ruger Compact is in 260 - a dream to handle and shoot. My Savage is an 11 Weather Warrior in 260, so it's heavier. If the Savage LW comes with Accutrigger and Accustock, get the Savage. The first six rounds out of mine were 1.2" - three in .570 and three in .679. One other consideration is the GSR Scout Ruger. If you're in the woods, the military style open sights would be the ticket.

Call me the odd ball here. I see brush, and waist deep muck stated, as well as reduced weight. I say short lever action in .30-30 Win. Perfect for heavy brush and muck. Will kill any deer that walks if you hit it in the correct spot.

Muck. Mr. Murphy. ...... A levergun is much harder to clean, IMHO.

If it were not for the weight, I'd vote for the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle..... there are lighter versions of the same gun ....so I'll take the Ruger 77.

Back