Votes: 16 51.6%
  • savage 11 lightwieght hunter

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Recoiljunky

Okay guys here's the scoop. I'm geting rid of my remy 700 and looking to replace it with a light small moderitly priced rifle. I came across the ruger m77 compact and the savage 11 lightwieght hunter both in 308win. The main perpos of the gun would be stalking deer through heavy palmetto brush and waist deep muck. Whitch would you get and why?

Thanks,
steve

Decisions, decisions. Let's look at your choices

I happen to own a Model 11 FNS and a Remington 700, both in .308. They're within an inch of one another in length. The Remington weighs 7.8 lbs set up for the field (scope, mounts, rings, strap and 4 rounds of ammo). The Savage, likewise set up, weighs 8 lbs, so that's a wash.

However, my rifle on the Savage site, shows a net weight of 6.5 lbs. The scope, mounts, rings, strap and ammo bring the weight to 8 lbs. That Model 11 Lightweight hunter you're looking at, shows a net weight of 5.5 lbs, and we can assume that all the accouterments will bring the weight up another 1.5 pounds, for a field weight of 7 lbs. Not bad at all.

The Ruger shows a net weight of 5.75 lbs, but you don't need mounts as the Ruger rings will suffice. Field ready it will weigh in about 7 lbs also.

Both are capable of acceptable field accuracy. They will weigh within ounces of one another when ready for the field. MSRP of the two are fairly similar and I'm sure that you can do better than MSRP.

So, the questions becomes: Which one do you like best?

I've got a few Savage rifles and no Rugers. However, my buddy has the Laminate Compact in 7mm-08 and after handling and shooting it, I'd buy the Ruger. It is far quicker to shoulder and points better than any Savage I've ever held. Accuracy might not be as good as the Savage rifles, but the rifle I shot was hovering around 1" and always under 1.5". That makes it accurate enough to kill game at any distance I want to shoot. My vote is for the Ruger.

At pawpaw: non of the dealers around me stock eather so I don't have the luxury of feeling them. I've owned ruger revolvers but havnt had a savage. But I'm leaning more twards the ruger so far.

There is bound to be a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops within an hour or two of Jupiter Florida. I'd bet that they'd have both Ruger and Savage rifles in stock.

Yes there are but they don't stock these perticular models. I asked them if they are going to in the near future and they said they dobt plan on it.

If you want small and light, look also at the Remington Model 7. It is slimmer than the 700 and comes with a 20" bbl.

Wouldn't it be a downgrade to goto a model 7 from the 700

No, it wouldn't. I owned a Model 7 once upon a time, a rifle that I really liked. Lost it during a divorce and the subsequent financial dynamic. The Remington Model 7 is a fine rifle, designed strictly for short action cartridges. It weighs in at 6.5 lbs with either the CDL or the synthetic stock. MSRP of $702.00 for the synthetic, but the CDL is so pretty I might spring for the more expensive version.

I really liked my Model 7 and I regret losing it more than I regret losing my first wife. Mine was in 7mm-08 and shot Remington Core-Lokt 140 grain ammo so accurately that I never felt a need to reload for it. I shot everything with it, from deer to predators to crows. It never let me down, never failed me. With a 20" barrel is was short and light and wonderfully accurate.

I sure miss that rifle.

+1 on what PawPaw said. Definately NOT a downgrade. In fact, they hold their prices much better than a 700. Custom versions will go for insane amounts of cash. They are a slimmer, lighter version so you won't find them chambered in any of the longer calibers. Mine is the older style with the 18 1/2" bbl. It looses a tad in velocity due to the 1 1/2" less barrel length as opposed to the 20" but I don't really notice. Mine is in .260 and is accurate way more accurate than I am.

I might be bit off the mark here with a scout setup, but since you're looking for a true brush gun...

Have you considered the Ruger Gunsite Scout? Short barrel length makes it an ideal brush/truck/ all-purpose rifle.

At the risk of overdoing my praise for the Ruger Compact, I'll say again how much I like it. It shoots really well, and it's so light that more and more I find myself leaving the Sako and taking the Ruger. Mine is in 260, so the recoil isn't bad, though I do only shoot a medium load. I bought it off a buddy, so I don't know what he might have done to the trigger, but whatever he did or had done was perfect. I think that's my rifle for when I'm too old or weak to drag the Sako to the stand. And...it's a pretty little rifle and feels great in my hands.

The scout seems more like a tactical rifle than a brush gun plus why would you need 10 rounds to stalk a deer and the flash hider on it would make it to louder than my gf's nagging.

Since you are looking at a .308 you might look at the Ruger Compact Magnum in .308. It has a really nice re-enforced stock, iron sights, 20" barrel and slightly shortened LOP. It's one of the few rifles that comes with decent sights, plus comes with scope rings as well.

I think I'm gonna chose the ruger I found out the dealer cost for it is 550 so I can get it for 600. When I get the rifle I'll make a review for it.

Call me the odd ball here. I see brush, and waist deep muck stated, as well as reduced weight. I say short lever action in .30-30 Win. Perfect for heavy brush and muck. Will kill any deer that walks if you hit it in the correct spot.

Also used 30-30's usualy scoped go for resonable prices in most pawn shops.

m&p45acp10+1 said:
Call me the odd ball here. I see brush, and waist deep muck stated, as well as reduced weight. I say short lever action in .30-30 Win. Perfect for heavy brush and muck. Will kill any deer that walks if you hit it in the correct spot.

He never asked about levers or I would have talked about them.

For heavy brush and waist-deep muck (sounds like my stomping grounds in Louisiana), a lever gun is probably the perfect medicine for what ails you. The problem with the lever gun is the current fad for long-range riflery. Everyone wants a gun capable of sub MOA groups at 500 yards, when most of the whitetail deer in the United States are shot at ranges under 100 yards.

At 5.5 lbs ready for the field, the .30-30 lever action is arguably one of the best rifles for the conditions stated. One of the problems with it is the front bead iron sight. The bead on my rifle subtends 10 inches at 100 yards. That's not a problem when you're shooting at something large and close; simply put the bead on the target and fire the rifle. However, for longer range, that big bead takes up a lot of the target. I was shooting at a 20 inch gong with my .30-30 last week. At two hundred yards I had trouble seeing the target and was only hitting it about half the time. Shooting at the same gong at 100 yards was very easy and I was making hits for about 4MOA, which is perfectly capable of taking deer and hogs.

There is a lot to like about a levergun.

THE brush and muck gun.

SAM_0319.jpg

Jim

Back