Savage 10 FCP

Hoping it does good. I've got about 100 rounds of each in 175 sierra match kings and about 100 Hornady ELD X. About half of each loaded with 4064 and varget. Curious to see how it groups.

The four round flush fit magazine for the 10T will work. I am using one of the 10 round magazines from your rifle in my 10T, and it works fine. Do not order one for the Axis, it has a different locking system and won't work in our rifles.

And while my brother laughs at me, Cabella has its own line of Hornady ZMAX (Zombie Max) varmint bullets (223 I think as well as the 30 caliber I use)

$144 for 500 in 30 caliber. They shoot really good and they weigh in so close its not even worth soring by weight.

^^^
Posted in the Smithy section a few weeks back about a new one that had been sent in to me for action truing and stock bedding. Found out that it had a bad chamber which the customer elected to have me repair by setting back the breech and re-chambering. Looks like it was the right move, as the barrel proved to be as accurate as any factory barrel IMO.

I'm confident the accurizing work did its thing- but the most important factor in accuracy is the barrel IMO, and the FCP line is known for out-of-the-box accuracy.

He sent me this pic after he got the rifle back, shooting Hornady 140's factory ammunition (I know- it's not a five-shot). It can only get better with handloads.

The 10 FCP is one of the most accurate Savages IMHO.

12S2HWKm.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
This is what i picked up.

shots 11-15.

Attachments

• ol # 11.jpg
    ol # 11.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 23
  • penny.jpg
    penny.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 21
  • shots 11-15.jpg
    shots 11-15.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 21
Just remember, that big bolt handle is a finely tuned part of the system, don't change it, you will throw the whole thing off!

Humor aside, what distance was the shooting?

Thanks really enjoying the rifle but does anyone else have issues with the metal magazine scratching the crap out of brass when feeding from it.

My have to smooth out the bottom edge's on both sides of the mag. If its the 10 round mag, by loading less say 5 is it just as bad. I wouldn't like scratched cases either.

Chris

Seems you did well with the rifle. I bought an older very lightly used FCP SR 5-6 years ago. Mine is a .223 with a 20" barrel and it came in the Choate Varmint stock. It is an extremely accurate rifle. Hard to beat a Savage for accuracy.

Wendy,

My two Savage Model 10 .308s love the Sierra TMK bullets (one is an old 10 FT (hidden mag and the other is a 10 FCP-K with muzzle break). The 10 FCP-K has an old style 4 round Savage removable mag.
One prefers the 155 and 168s TMKs, the other prefers the 175 and new 195 TMKs.
The shoot standard SMKs, Nosler CCs, and Bergers in their preferred calibers well but they shot the TMKs in any bullet weight better than any of the other bullet types. Both rifles have TMK bullets in their top 25 hand loads. No other bullet makes their top 25 regardless of bullet, bullet weight or powder used.

Since you hand load, you might try the TMKs but note that the tip extends farther than the standard HPBT SMKs giving them an impressive Ballistic Coefficient.
TMKs seem to prefer being seated out about 0.070 to 0.080 than the SMKs, but fortunately my standard Savage mags allow that. The ogives are about in the same position but the tips make the bullet longer so it doesn't change the bullet jump much.
You might check the 10 round mag on your 10 FCP to see if it as deep as the standard Savage mags. Seating the TMKs back to standard SMK seating depth to fit in mags would push the bullet body back into the cartridge and increase cartridge pressure by about 2400 psi in a mid load table charge.

It was at 100. Going to a different range that has a 200 yrd lane this weekend.

Fossil Pointe? If so, may see you up there.

Hello all, 1st post! Hope all are doing well

I have a Savage 10BA Stealth. If im not mistaking, its the identical barreled action as the FCP SR. .308win with 20" heavy threaded fluted bbl. Only diff is stealth has a "factory blueprinted action" and in a Drake one pc aluminum chassis.

I only have around 30 rounds through mine, all factory ammo, but im really impressed with it so far. It has taking a liking to Nosler Cust Comp & SMK's.

Mine came with a 10rnd AICS style mag.

Got to cabelas today. My 10 round wouldn't even stay in their fcp. Bought a four round and feeds great and fits great. Going to call Savage next week and try to get them to replace my 10 round mag.

Back