Savage 10 FCP

Wendyj

Found one of these with a great price tag today. Not sure what to scope it up with yet but had a Nikon Prostaff 7 2.5x10 laying around and put it on for the time being. Didn't know Savage had a 5r rifling in their guns but I like it in my Remington. Only drawback I can see so far is the bolt is a little rough and has to me moved with a little force to get a bullet out of the magazine. Wish they made a smaller magazine for it but can't find it on the web. Anyone own one and if so any pros and cons. Can't get to the range until next weekend but looking forward to it. Really like the accutrigger. Swore I would never buy another Savage but may indeed buy some more if this is a shooter.

Attachments

• IMG_1049.JPG
    IMG_1049.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 85
i have a 308-10fc in a choate super varmint stock with a 20min rail and a 8x32-50 scope on top....it really likes varget powder and nosler 175gr. match bullets...it likes them so well it will put 5 in a cluster that you can cover with a dime at 100yrds.

i didnt think i would like the accutrigger either ...until i used it a little,,,not to bad,,,kinda like a 2 stage

me thinks you gona like this rifle

ocharry

If a FCP, it comes with a 10 round mag. If not, you can likely get a 10 round mag from Savage but you'll need to call them to learn which one works for that rifle. I went through the same thing with my Savage 10T. I hated the stock from the first day I got it. I upgraded to a MDT LSS stock and solved the mag issue.

Wendyj...my fc has internal mag.....I think it hold 4 maybe 5 ends

But it is Scarry accurate...lol...sure makes me look good..lol

Ocharry

i am sorry,,,i been calling my rifle a FC,,,when in fact it is a FP

cw308 got me to thinking and i had to look

sorry for any confusion on my part,,,one thing i am not confused about is how accurate the rifle is ,,,but mine does have internal mag.

ocharry

I have not had anything very good out of the pencil barrel Savages, the Varming barrels seem to be pretty decent.

Savage is a button rifled barrel, they tend to be on the rough side. Shilen is also button rifled but they lap the barrel.

Savage uses the old straighten the barrel fixture if its bent a bit, none of the aftermarket barrel makers do that, they toss them though they usually do not get bend ones wither.

Remington uses hammer forged and their barrels are smooth.

How that affects or does not the 5R not a clue.

I put Savage pre fit barrels on mine, two are bull and one is varmint.

Shilen is good, CB is reported very good (I do not have one) XC is ok but not great, Lother Walther is very good but unless they have the caliber you want in pre fit, expensive.

Boyds laminated stocks hold up like the campsites and are fairly light, they look a lot better with a variety of types.

Fit on two I have is excellent.

You can build a very nice custom gun for under $800. Tools for the barrel work are about $150 (you can forgo the torque wrench, I use it because I have it)

Wendyj
Nice rifle , friends I shoot with have Savages . The bolt face seems to self center, haven't seen that on other brands. Brownells has a 4 round mag. Are you using it for hunting or bench shooting. With the 5R rifling , cleaning seems much easier 4 to 5 patches with the Parker Hale jag. Good luck with your new toy

Chris

Savage FCP

Wendy, I have an older Savage 10 FCP HS that came with a 4 round flush fit box mag. I don't know if the SR has different bottom metal but regardless it holds less than 1 MOA if I do my part.
All the best,
Bill

I found one at Brownells finally. I do have some different Arsenal for Ninjas and Zombies. Lol. Just wanted to hunt and do a little bench with this one. Who knows. May get the tactical chassis and hunt a zombie or 10.

To be on the safe side for the box mag, call Savage and inquire which one it takes. They'll know and you can likely order directly from Savage. The reason I'm suggesting you call is due to problems I had trying to find 10 round mags for my Savage 10T. I ordered a couple from the two websites and both came it wrong. But you'll have to call Savage since they don't have a web store. Good luck.

Thanks Ed. Brownells mags are new an no pictures until a later date. Good advise. Even with a picture I could come out wrong.

Congrats on the purchase Wendy, I'm sure you're going to like it. I have the Precision Carbine with 5r rifling and really like mine. It shoots very well with 168's, 175's and 178's using both IMR4064 and Varget. I don't know if our rifles have the same magazines but I got two 10 rounders and an extended mag release from Darkeagle Custom Inc. They are pricey but very well made.

Back