"saturday night specials" & racism

evans 2002:

You asked: "Well Alan what do you call people of African ancestry who were born in the U.S.? .... I call them Americans... but then that's what I call anyone (white, Asian, Native, black...despite what Jesse Jackson might preach.... most blacks have no problem being called black) born or naturalized in the U.S."

Believe it or not, I too call them AMERICANS. As for the "amen", you have it. By the way, I too believe that firearms ownership is a "civil right".

As for blacks, as well as members of other minority groups, I'm a member of one too, I believe that they had best take a rather close look at their "leaders", sometimes self annointed, as well as their "spokepersons", sometimes self-declared.

Yesterday afternoon, as I was working at the gun store, a guy came in. Big guy, mid-20s black, knit cap, sports-logo shirt.

Now, everyone who works in that store is white. The other customers in the store at the time were white. And here comes this big black guy, with a small gun case.

He asked Sue (politely) if there was someone there who could look at his gun, as it wasn't ejecting. Sue asked me to help him. Yeah, good idea, white guy with a shaved head working on a black guy's gun. Wish there'd been a mediot there to take pictures and gawk. :)

So anyway, I greeted him, and asked to see the gun.

A Lorcin 9mm. Sheesh. I asked if he got it new or used. "New. Got it from Dragon Man."

"How much'd you pay, if I can ask?"

"$70. 'Bout all I could afford."

"Did you ask Mel to fix it?"

"Yeah, he said he didn't do repairs [which is bulls#!+, BTW], but maybe someone could fix it."

Turns out the extractor was flapping. The spring was as loose as a $2... uh, yeah. I gently suggested that he get a real gun. Well, OK, I said the Lorcin was a piece of crap that I would only sell to my worst enemy. He asked about guns in the $200 range. All we had around that price was the old beat-up 32S&W revolvers; the cheap guns ran out of the cases weeks ago. I mentioned that we do layaway, and he seemed OK with that idea.

We talked a little while longer about good guns, bad guns, and the politics of disarmament. I reminded him that he was exactly the kind of person the antis want to disarm: a young black man who can't afford a really good gun and has to resort to carrying a cheap POS, or depend on the cops. He didn't like that. :)

I put his Lorcin back together, he offered his hand, I shook it and wished him luck. I think he was stunned by our reaction to him: friendly, helpful, non-judgmental. We didn't treat him like a criminal. You know, like the antis do.

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Back