SASS question

shoptroll

If you have a lever gun that holds 9 in the tube, is it legal to start with one in the chamber to have your total 10 rounds? Never been to a match. Just in the research stage.

i would think they WOULD NOT let you do that,,be like loading your shotgun and staging it,,,safety problem,, if it got kicked or knocked over,,could go off,,but it has been a long time since i played that game

you could always start with the 9 and load on the fly,,,when ever i needed more than 10,,,i remember some stages had 11 or 12 shots,,,so everybody loaded on the fly,,,i would load my marlin in the side with the action open,,kinda like single loading a pump shot gun,,,toss it in and close the action,,,works pretty good and fast,,,dont know what kind of rifle you are using but if you have a marlin give it a try,,,some practice and it becomes second nature

ocharry

No, you certainly could not. You should check out the SASS Wire forum where hundreds of old Cowpokes will answer your every CAS related question in great detail. It’s a real fun forum reflective of the “fun first” nature of the sport.

Seamus

I removed some of the magazine spring in my gun to reduce the pressure needed to load, but also gives a half a shell extra space. You could take the cap off drop 10 rounds in and see how much room for spring is left.

Rossi model 92 carbine in 357/38. Holds 8 - 357 or 9 - 38's in the tube. I've had the gun since the late 80's and would like to use it to start. I didn't ask the SASS forum because I don't need a load of crap about how the 92 is garbage and I need to drop $1500 on a race ready 1873. I only need about another 1/2" to 3/4" to get another 38 in there so I'll look at the tube when I get done polishing the action. Meets around here are done for the year anyway so, I have time.

If your 92 is a 20” barrel the spring clip ought to allow 20 rounds of 357mag. if you have a Trapper you may be SOL and have to load 9 then load 1 on the clock. Shoot the game for fun. Speed is great if you have it. I never did and never will have it but my ‘92s have worked fine for me in SASS since 1993. I’m too cheap to be competitive and still have lots of fun.

Howdy

Just so you know, SASS rules state that no firearm will have a live round in the chamber before the timer starts. Pistols are always loaded with 5 rounds, with the hammer down on an empty chamber, rifles are loaded with how ever many rounds the stage calls for, with the hammer down on an empty chamber, and shotguns are carried to the line with the action open and chambers empty.

So, I cut 7 coils off the mag spring, shaved a 1/16th off the plug and 1/8th off the back of the follower and it's all good. 10 rounds of .38 in the tube and we're good to go.

YAAAAY! Question: how long is the barrel on that rifle? If it is a 16 incher it would be nice to know that it can be done (getting 10 rounds into the rifle mag).

Tell her it will be an excuse to buy clothes and shoes.
There are a lot of "conventioneers" at SASS matches. They don't shoot, they just dress up and party.

Back