Sam Walker 44 Colt

Rod said:
I'm thinking that I like the Dragoon much better as well. It's a little handier sized, lighter, and designed better.
7 1/2" is still a bit long. Is there any reason why a competent gunsmith couldn't shorten the lever and move the lever latch and sight back so as to shorten the barrel to 5-6" long?
Can the Walker's loading lever still drop from recoil?

Somebody competent in metalwork should be able to pull your barrel-shortening job, along with remounting the lever-latch. About the only negative I can think of is that you'd reduce the leverage available to seat the ball. On a positive note, you could have the barrel dovetailed for a front sight and build-in windage and elevation in the process.

All the Walkers I have shot have managed to drop their loading lever at least once per cylinder.

Earlier in this thread, the speculation of using a comparatively-heavy SWC was raised. It is, to the best of my knowledge, possible to safely use a swaged bullet of this type in only one custom BP revolver; the Clements 50 Old Army.

Walkers and Dragoons

Sarge

DSC02909.jpg

I'm a big Walker Fan and of course appreciate the upgrades that came with the Dragoons that followed. Johnny Bates and Mike Cumpston wrote an excellent book. I added it to my library years ago. Their range reports and observations are well worth reading.

I had the good fortune to run into a used Uberti Colt Walker 1847 and shortly afterwards a Uberti 1849 Colt Dragoon 3rd Model. Both are in in excellent shape and a hoot to shoot.

Interesting comments regarding shooting and modifications. I keep mine lubed and use only round balls. I'd never modify either.

A properly fitted round ball is the forward combustion seal for the firing process. The grease over the ball is for lubricating the ball as it passes down the barrel. No lube & you will get a good leason in lead mining. Lube will reduce the possibility of a chain fire in a loose fitting ball but if the ball fits the cylinder mouth tight there is no room for a spark to enter. Whether firing a loose or tight ball you still need lube for that lead ball as it scoots down the barrel.
Some chain fires happen due to loose fitted caps. Any place a spark can enter a cylinder it may. The idea is a well fitted combustion system that is effiecient & safe.
Mike in Peru

Correct info from Mike.

SIGSHR said:
Also remember the Walker's sights are pretty crude by our standards-a brass "bump" in front, a v notch in the hammer. I do not know what criteria they used for sighting back, but my Walker-and Dragoon-seemed to be sighted in for 75 yards and shoot high at closer ranges.

A 75 yard zero was the standard then. The Walker had a steel front blade in a dovetail, the Dragoon a steel blade in a slot, no windage adjustment. On the 2nd and 3rd gens these blades are German silver plated. The normal method for adjusting was working the notch in the hammer.

Anybody ever had a loading lever catch attached? Do you just tie it up with leather as they used to? Or do you deal with it? From what I read, at least way back in the day, the lever dropped and jammed the revolver about once in the six shots. I'm guessing that still holds true with the reproductions?

Last edited:
On my 2nd Gen Walker I filed more of a V shape on the tap at the end of the spring that holds the loading lever up. This was a big improvement but I would still have an occasional lever drop with heavy loads. A sort leather piece works for those heavy 60gr shots.

Bit of history, Mr walker carried a patterson and was fighting indians. He got together with MR cot and designed a 6 shot long barrel 44 magnum revolver, not to put down horses. It could easily be done with a 36. It was bult to hold such a hot load so he could engage the enemy at longer range ankd knock them down. The reason it has a longer barrel and so much weight, is that it may be used as a tomahawk equivilent. The dragoos have a v notch for conicals. The round balls we oversized to help eliminate chain fire, ayone ever had it done its not fun. They were known to have cook offs anyway.
Conical balls in revolvers are inserted at an abngle so they truely arnt as accurate as standerd round balls. Ill settle for an original walker rather then a dragoon. The max load a dragoon is designed to handle is 60 grn. I have safely shot 60 grians behind a ball sucessfully. The leaver is a flaw that even happened with the original design with walkers, so the flaw was put into the repro.
I am a civil war reenactor, somtimes ill carry my 1860, sherif,remington or walker onto the line, depending on the era that im portrating, I only carry one at a time though.

Back