Safest way to store and handle CCW guns at home

In my own unique circumstance, there are no kids in the home and there are no codified storage requirements that I know of. I am not going to keep the house gun locked away.. it stays in the nightstand. As I have said many many times, if a troop of criminals can enter your home before you can casually arm yourself, you have obviously overlooked some significant security flaws. I am armed nearly all the time when out in public but I am not going to wear a gun at home. Others may feel differently and that is perfectly alright with me. Each person has their own set of circumstances and if kids are anywhere in the mix, an abundance of caution is usually a good idea.

In my own unique circumstance, there are no kids in the home and there are no codified storage requirements that I know of. I am not going to keep the house gun locked away.. it stays in the nightstand. As I have said many many times, if a troop of criminals can enter your home before you can casually arm yourself, you have obviously overlooked some significant security flaws. I am armed nearly all the time when out in public but I am not going to wear a gun at home. Others may feel differently and that is perfectly alright with me. Each person has their own set of circumstances and if kids are anywhere in the mix, an abundance of caution is usually a good idea.

I still have a three year old who thinks it's funny to dig through the garbage. He needs to be protected from himself. So for the foreseeable future I will have things locked away carefully.

I figure that if someone kicks in my door to launch a home invasion, a gun locked up 10 feet away may not be of any more use than a gun locked away upstairs. Beyond arms reach, and really, I'm unarmed. I don't feel the need to arm myself at home for a variety of reasons and so my concern is to make sure that if a kid (mine, or someone staying in our home, etc) were to come across my weapon, that it would be quicker for him to turn 21 and go buy his own than to get mine out of its safe :)

Yes it was. Your family was one of the lucky ones. MANY children and families were not so lucky. The fact is that a child's brain simply doesn't have the wiring to fully understand consequences and then make consistently good choices based on those consequences.

This is probably the only area in which I will side with the libturds - no unsupervised access by young children regardless of how much "teaching" they have had.

You have got to be kidding...I bet there was not a gun safe in my county in those days. No one locked up or "secured" guns in those days...no one...and there were not dead children everywhere.

However, there is a big difference in the quality of parents.

PLENTY of kids today, are raised with guns around...that are not in a safe or locked to the foundation of a house.

Matter of fact, all of my friends have guns...only 3 of them have a gun safe. The others just keep the guns unloaded. It ain't rocket science, with small children...control the ammo, you control the gun.

You have got to be kidding...I bet there was not a gun safe in my county in those days. No one locked up or "secured" guns in those days...no one...and there were not dead children everywhere.

this chart shows that more kids died from guns in the past than today...
CHILDREN-AND-GUNS-Accidental-Child-Firearm-Deaths-and-Handgun-Supply.png

http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control-myths/children-and-guns/

Back