Safest gun to carry cocked and locked

damage

If you have to ccw what weapon do you think is safest cocked and locked?

My vote goes to the Beretta Cougar

SIG.

YA JUST CANT GO WRONG WITH A SIG.

WHO SAID GLOCK? ??? ?? ? ?

LOL

------------------
TIM : )

You guys must have some heavily customized Glocks and Sigs if you can carry them cocked and locked.

Damage - what do you mean by "safest"? If you mean least likely to discharge if dropped or some such, I'd say modern weapons are all about the same. However, the H&K USP series are dropped six times with a cocked hammer onto steel/concrete from height of 3 and 6.7 feet, among other drop tests. This is with the safety OFF, and it must function properly after all testing. As far as I know, the USP is the only pistol tested for clearing a squib by following it with a live round - and it must still function and be accurate. For USP torture testing info go to www.streetpro.com/usp/torture.html . Cool stuff.

Don't all moder weapons have a firing pin block?

[This message has been edited by Morgan (edited December 02, 1999).]

That was a joke, right, Rosco? Please tell me you're joking :)

A Glock that's cockable and lockable is like a Cadillac with a stick shift--Ya just don't find them!

Like Morgan said, the USP has proven its security in carrying cocked and locked. I haven't heard of any ADs involving cocked & locked USPs. I have, however, heard of a number of ADs involving Glocks.

------------------
Exodus 22:2 -- Biblical precedent for home defense.

I've looked at Taurus's, EAA Witness's and HK USP's for cocked and locked, and in my humble opinion if you have your heart set on a cocked-and-locked mode of carry, you can't get any better than Ye Olde M1911A1.

That extra safety on the back of the grip (not found on any of the afore-mentioned weapons) makes all the difference in the world.

LawDog

Any negligent discharge experienced by someone with a Glock pistol is directly attributable to operator stupidity.The Glock will NEVER discharge unless the trigger is actuated.If an operator can't remember that one of the four cardinal rules of firearms is
"Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire" than perhaps he/she
should consider a gun free lifestyle, for their own safety, and ours as well.ND's with Glocks are a training problem, not an engineering problem.

I guess I should have specified what I meant.
I realize people comfortable with glocks will say glocks. but I'm not asking what you prefer but as far as safety mechanics go and assuming you are carrying concealed the gun will have to be small. So from a technical standpoint what is safest to carry.

And yes I realized the safest to carry is The one without a round in the chamber

Actully Sigs are preaty safe to carry cocked and locked. most of the time all you need to do is hit the hamer drop and your gun goes in to double action. Now with a glock thats a diffrent story. Still a good gun but to me My mind would all ways be worrying about it.

My 2 cents.

The whole cocked and locked thing does not apply to a Glock, yes, this is true. I guess I should restate, the safest pistol to carry in the ready condition is the Glock. For a 1911 the ready condition is cocked and locked. For the Glock the ready condition is simply loaded. The Glock does not require you to manipulate any lack-of-safety levers or switches or secret codes or what not.

When I refer to 'cocked-and-locked' I mean carrying a weapon hammer back (cocked) with the safety applied (locked). Is there another way of carrying cocked-and-locked?

???LawDog

[This message has been edited by LawDog (edited December 02, 1999).]

Lawdog has the correct definition of "Cocked and Locked". But with only a few exceptions, what you are talking about is a Single action auto pistol such as the 1911 or Hi-power. Both of these guns are completely safe to carry cocked and locked and were in fact designed to be carried that way.
There are a few DA pistols which allow for cocked and locked carry. Is the Cougar one of them? I'm not really familier with that gun.

Most of the better semi-autos are safe when carried cocked & locked... but even the safest is not safe if the user is not well-practiced with the weapon. Along the same lines, even a supposedly "unsafe" weapon can be safe in the proper hands.

House - I say again, that must be a heavily modified SIG to be able to carry it cocked and locked, as in hammer back safety on. What SIG model do you have with a safety?

Damage - if you're carrying in a firm holster that protects the entire trigger guard, any modern firearm will do the trick. If you're going to use a soft holster or some such, I'd say Law Dog is right - that grip safety could save your butt.

To my recollection there is no safety on the Glock or Sig (excepting the firing pin blocks to prevent drop it discharges) The very term
cocked and locked refers to the 1911, and it is safe to carry that way - despite some mis informed LE agencies, etc who believe otherwise. I was told, a few months back, of an agency who now dis allows Glocks for carry because an officer crammed a loaded one into the tupperware in a packed trunk, when he muscled the trunk shut the Glock went off. Go figure.

C&L only applies to a SA auto,and the 1911 GM is the only one I've carried that is.

30 years of C&L, no ADs or NDs. But, it takes some training and intelligence,so if you're not motivated to do it right, don't do it.

Back