Safer hunting now available.

Originally posted by tahunua001:
it's kind of redundant to the 3rd rule of firearm safey, be sure of your target and beyond
[/QUOTE]

Worth repeating over and over again.

Especially the 'and beyond' portion.
And I say that due to the fact that when that trophy of a lifetime steps out in front of us, it's very easy to get tunnel vision on the trophy and not think where the projectile is going to end up when it passes through our target.

If you have already mistaken a human for a deer, you clearly have not identified your target.

I haven't disputed that. I said as much in post #3

This is not about avoiding mistakes.
It is about putting the brakes on when a mistake has already been made and could be about to get a lot worse.

I should point out to all reading this.

I am neither for nor against this product. I can see its pros and cons and I can see them with the detachment of someone who has no vested interest.

I simply heard about it and so posted it for general consumption, but not to promote it.

In an earlier life, I had a pack of beagles and we did a lot of rabbit hunting in the swamps and thickets of Louisiana. Lots of areas there, you couldn't see 20 yards, but we all used shotguns and could follow the progress of the dogs by ear. Many times, as many as a dozen hunters would be spread out over several acres, watching holes in the foliage or along creek banks for the rabbit that ran 50-60 yards ahead of the beagles.

The hunt-master would give a good safety briefing in the morning and insured that everyone wore hunter's orange. Lots of awareness, also a lot of fun. We had folks from pre-teens to grandfathers out there, having a ball, listening to the dogs and shooting rabbits. Great fun.

We didn't need any electronic gizmos, but I can see the utility of such a device, especially when other hunters are concealed by head-high brush.

The hunt-master would give a good safety briefing in the morning and insured that everyone wore hunter's orange. Lots of awareness, also a lot of fun. We had folks from pre-teens to grandfathers out there, having a ball, listening to the dogs and shooting rabbits. Great fun.

We did the same thing Paw Paw. Hunting that way from a very young age taught you to watch for your bunny to appear, make sure of your backstop and to not shoot a chasing dog in a very short amount of time.

An unsafe hunter, either unsafe with fellow hunters or the dogs, was just not tolerated. I can remember a few hunts that ended fairly abruptly do to the lack of safety being displayed. Have seen a few fathers, including my own, go off on one of the youngsters for shooting to close to someone or a dog.

Back