Safe to shoot?

Technosavant said:
Some guns were made in chamberings that have since picked up a good deal of power, and firing new full house loads in them will cause grief (the Swiss 1911 rifle comes to mind).

A Gew. 1911 should be perfectly safe with commercial 7.5 Swiss or GP11 surplus ball. That's what I use in my 96/11.

pesta2 said:
8mm Siamese Mauser I can’t.

I got some OWS ammo for mine. I think Buffalo Arms may load it also.

I have a small collection of export mausers (i.e. 3x'09s, 1x08, '93, '95, '98), and would not hesitate to fire them, given their excellent condition--but I don't for the sake of wear and tear, and need to obsessively clean every part.

I own ammo and dies for every rifle that I have. As for the mausers, I would only buy them for shooting if the bolt matches the action. The DWM gunsmiths were the best in the history of the world and as long as the rifles are in original configuration, you'll never see a better fit in those rifles: not to mention the weight, strength, and quality of the steel put into the actions during that time period is unmatched to this day. You can tell from across the table if a bolt is mismatched, because it just will not have that "ahhh" slide, fit and lock that you want, and which is why I'm addicted to these rifles.

As for wartime rifles, I've been warned to avoid late war productions, as the quality control slipped as Germany began to lose the war.

I got some OWS ammo for mine. I think Buffalo Arms may load it also.

8x50Rmm or 8x52Rmm?

Mine is 8x52R.

Years ago I went to the Greensburg PA gun show when it was in the old mall. There is a guy there that made 8x52Rs. It was something like a 10 step process. He would use 45-70 and had to turn the rims down, trim twice, etc…

At a recent Gun Show I picked up a 6.5 Swiss bolt action made in 1902. Absolut Beut! Still ammo around in bulk packs and that rifle built like a Swiss watch still groups < 2" at 100 yards with the non standard peep site somebody put on it last century for competion shooting. Most of the older last century guns put modern ones to shame. :)

Still on the down side most of the old original ammo is corrosive and cleaning them is a real problem. Add to this that most of the sellers of the old ammo don't know if its corrosive primed or not but tend to tell you its not...

If it's got a black primer its corrosive or so I've been told.
The orders for the old smellys (kiwi colloquillism for SMLE-Short Magazine, Lee-Enfield) were two quarts (or maybe pints? Whichever's bigger) of boiling water down the barrel after action. I know my mates old man works for DOC (Dept of Conservation) and was using an SMLE to euthanise beached whales after efforts to free them failed. Old ex-military corrosively primed AP or Ball in a saltwater environ. Great for the rifle.

Slightly off topic but are Lee Enfields regarded as collectables in the US?

Falcon5NZ said:
Slightly off topic but are Lee Enfields regarded as collectables in the US?

Yes, to a greater or lesser extent.

Scarcity and value-wise, Ishapores and Lithgows and No.4 Mk.I's of the Long Branch persuasion are at the lower end of the totem pole here, rising up through other No.4's, then Mk.III* SMLE's, then pre-Great War rifles and No.1 Mk.V's, and reaching a pinnacle with the various sniper variants.

You could pick up a .308 Ishy for ~$150 USD, up to a few grand for a nice No.4 Mk.I (T).

I have a 1918 BSA "Smelly" and a '53 Faz No.4 Mk.II, myself.

Yea, you guys would hate NZ

SMLE's are a dime a dozen for a sporterised ones here. We had/have a real deer problem here so we employed people as "cullers" to shoot them. Parts of maps with "UNCHARTED" stamped on them were guaranteed to have .303 casings in them. Even a fully wooded one is only about NZ$550. They are regarded as good cheap first rifles. We even modified them to launch nets to live capture deer.

I have a Swedish Mauser made in 1898. I fire it all the time.
Probably the best-built and most accurate military rifle ever made.

Back