Safe placement suggestions?

Targa

Hi all, we are having a new house built and I would like suggestions on where to place a larger firearm safe.
The two options I am looking at are:
1. Place it at the front portion of a 3 car tandem garage and bolting it through a heavy rubber mat and into the concrete floor. The garage will be fully insulated to include the door.
2. Same bolting scenario but in the unfinished walkout basement, which will eventually be finished.
I live in Colorado so humidity is not a huge issue and there is little chance of any flooding damage. I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Thank you, Darrin.

A local guy here - NE Ohio - had a safe bolted to the floor of his garage.

The thieves wrapped a logging chain around it, hooked it to a (stolen) tow truck and yanked it out through the side of the garage.

Easy in = easy out.
Making it as hard to take out as it was to put in should discourage all but the most determined thief.
Out of sight helps, too.
So, I vote for hiding it in the basement.

Last edited:
I'm in Colorado also and wouldn't put my safe in the garage because come winter you pull in with a wet and hot car then close the door. The cold objects like guns for instance will condense that steam. My neighbor put his safe in his insulated garage and although he does a good job of cleaning and oiling his guns he does have rust on them now.

BASEMENT WITHOUT QUESTION.
In an enclosed room separated from rest of finished basement by a separate locked door. That way when "people" gather in the area for whatever anyone YOU don't want to know of its existence doesn't know. Appears there is just another room in the basement.

I keep mine currently in the house in a closet with locked door.
My house is small so best place available.
When I relocate to my land in the future it will have a "home" in a dedicated area for those items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I walk my dogs, I'm kinda shocked about how many people have gun safes in their garages. I'm not even being nosy, they are pretty noticeable. I would neve put one in the garage, unless it could be hidden.

There is a safe that is a take apart type . You could easily take the parts to the attic , assemble , and let them have fun removing it.
In any case make sure you understand rusting !! Especially condensation. don't store a gun in a closed case ,you may be enclosing moisture along with the gun !!

Before you commit fully to the basement, let me offer one more option. That would be in the garage but with a wall built to separate the safe from the rest of the garage. The wall could even go all the way across the garage to the opposite perpendicular wall and be further subdivided into a "hidden" room that houses the safe and an unhidden room that houses all your ordinary garage tool junk (rakes, shovels, etc.). Building a simple wall is easy and cheap if you have some basic carpentry skills.

That is an idea as well^^. The more I think about it though, I might do that and have it more as a workshop.
As for the basement, we are going to build a storage room in lieu of a bedroom, I think that is where the safe will live.

Eventually my safe is going into a false wall.

I have "bait" items that I'd rather have stolen if I should ever be broken into again... cheap but shiny electric guitars and amps.
The may fill up on that stuff before they find the guns.

My personal experience with getting burglarized... when they run out of time and room to haul things, they leave.

in the basement it will be much harder to bring it back up the stairs. If it took 3 strong guys to get it down there it will probably take 5 strong guys to bring it back up.

Only issue with garage storage is, in general they do not put a vapor barrier down under garage floors, hence moisture will wick up through the concrete. Reason no vapor barrier in garages is that it is not considered a living space.

There is a safe that is a take apart type . You could easily take the parts to the attic , assemble , and let them have fun removing it.
I wouldn't trust an attic to hold the weight of a safe.
When we bought our house in 1986, the builder warned us not to store anything in the attic above the living spaces.

I saw someone suggest the attic for a gun safe. ABSOLUTELY NOT with newer light weight construction. Roof trusses are not designed to carry the weight load of a large gun safe on the bottom cord of the truss.

I vote for the secret room idea but in the basement instead.

If I was building a new house, I would build a "gun room" into the house as a small closet. I would take a bedroom or hall closet and place rebar welded together every 3" or so in the walls, floor and ceiling before installing the dry wall and sub-floor. A strong secure would insure a safe place to store guns. Fire rated drywall would keep the guns safe from fire and the rebar would keep them safe from theft.

If possible, you may also want to consider positioning it in a corner so that anyone trying to crack it open with a pry bar can't get any leverage.

Another reason for choosing a basement is in case of a fire. I read an article about house fires and gun safes and a firefighter being interviewed said in the case of large house fires, the only gunsafe he had ever seen actually protect it's contents was found in the basement.

Back