SA Question

I have a pair of New Vaqueros that I use for cowboy action shooting, and a .44 Special flattop Blackhawk (the flattops are built on the same frame as the New Vaquero and feature the "reverse indexing pawl".

When loading or unloading, if I roll the cylinder backwards slightly, it will "hard stop" in exactly the right spot to line up the chamber with the ejection rod and the open loading gate. If I were to remove the little allen screw, I would lose this feature. I don't see any advantage in having the cylinder rotate backwards. The Colt style revolvers don't "free spin" and I don't see anyone complaining about it.

That "Colt-style" chamber alignment is the whole purpose behind the Ruger's indexing plunger, and it's a brilliant idea to provide the alignment.

It's still possible to rotate past a given chamber in loading, and the freespin cylinder simply allows you to quickly & easily move forwards or backwards in positioning any chamber for loading or unloading access.
That's particularly nice for situations where you may only be partially reloading, after you've fired a couple shots.

I'm assuming you've never used a freespin cylinder.
If you had, you might come to like it.
Or not.

Many of us do. :)
Denis

I tried the free spin on an original Vaquero. Didn't care for it really. Went back to standard pawl. Of course my newer Ruger flattops and New Vaqueros all index properly, so no need even to think about a free spin (IMHO).

My gun that started out as a NewVaq357 has been fully free-spun, and I like it that way. The end of the pawl has been shaved plus the extra plunger that comes in from the rear has been unscrewed. Spin is dead silent and perfectly smooth in both directions.

This is hardly the most extreme mod I've done to it...the magazine feeding and gas-powered shell ejection both top that, as does the 9mmPara conversion, barrel swap, post-modern sights...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/03/03/maurice-frankenruger-magazine-fed-revolver/

Interesting thread. I have never worried a lot about it but have never played games with SA revolvers. Did go get my birdshead out and look it over though.

Back