SA Hellcat

FM12

Looking for a smaller every day carry weapon and am intrigued by the Hellcat. Any pros, cons,reccommendations? Actual experience with one? Thanks in advance.

I have one and it is my EDC gun. Love it. Great sights, even though I put an optical sight on mine. Great trigger as well. Entire gun is also very smooth and nothing to snag clothing on. You can’t go wrong with the Hellcat as a carry gun.

DJG9QfOm.jpg

mk70ss, Does your optic cowitness with the standard sights? Which optic did you choose and do find it easy to acquire quickly? I'm thinking of switching to a Hellcat myself.

You have to “zero” the red dot to cowitness the front sight, and yes, I did that. The dot is quick to acquire and easy to pick up, especially in dimmer light. I got the Shield RMSc optic. Seems like a great, rugged little sight!

Looked at one in person yesterday, fel the grip was too aggressive for me. May go with the new S&W 9MM EZ.

How is the grip for comfort? Anything weird? MY p365 has just the smallest molding at the bottom of the grip that rubs my palm. Otherwise perfection.

guess I could lightly sand that area...

When it first came out, everyone was in love. Now that it has been out a while, the honeymoon seems to be wearing off for some. I have not shot one, but looked at them. The advice is the same for any CCW handgun. Shoot one for at least 100 rounds before you plunk down the cash. Or buy one, shoot it and be willing to sell it if it does not check off the boxes. I kind of want a P365 too, but it did not do enough for me to buy one compared to my Kahr PM9s or KT PF9 at the time. $20 of ammo was a good test drive.

Times change, preferences change, don't be scared to try something new and it if works roll with it and if it does not, move on.

I have been carrying my Hellcat for a few months now. I have shot it at the practical range a few times and put around 500 rounds through it. It has functioned flawlessly thus far and I like having 5 more rounds than the Glock 43 it replaced. I purchased 2 extra 13 round mags which I carry for backup. It gives me a total of 38 rounds or 40 if I carry the 13 round mag in the gun plus the two 13 round mags. Compared to the Glock 43, which I carried with two plus 2 mags, I only had 23 rounds. Do I really anticipate needing that many rounds? Not really, but it is far better to have them and need them, than need them and not have them. Also, it is much easier to keep up with the drills at the practical range since I don't have to reload as frequently.

Looked at one in person yesterday, fel the grip was too aggressive for me. May go with the new S&W 9MM EZ.
I recommend you rent one first. I purchased the EZ 9. Hated it, grip safety was horrible, slide was so sloppy I thought it was going to fly off the gun and for me not very accurate at all. I purchased it on a Saturday after cleaning it took to the range on Sunday, sold it on Monday. I was very disappointed.

I prefer the P365 over the Hellcat, but they are both great pistols as far as I can tell. The Hellcat has an edge (slight) in capacity unless you include the newer 15 rd mags for the 365, which I have never tried. And the Hellcat can be set for optical sights much more economically too. However, I feel like the P365 has a better trigger all around crisp and short reset, and I prefer the sights on the Sig over the Hellcat too. They both shoot good for small guns, but the Hellcat seemed a little slower for me to get back on target; recoil felt like a little more snap, just enough to slow me down a tad. Not a big deal, but I noticed it. Finally, for my hands (average size) the grip on the P365 feels better. The Hellcat is a little wider, more blocky. Honestly, it is really personal preference because they are both good shooters, easy to maintain, accurate, and for what I know, reliable. I do not really have a complaint against either, just a preference for the Sig. I have been carrying a P365 for over a year now, and it has operated flawlessly on any and all ammo. The Hellcat I only got to shoot 100 rounds through, but it fed all and ran good with ball and hollow points.

For what it’s worth, I looked at a S&W 9mm EZ at a local store. Seemed loose, almost slop in the slide...not interested in the slightest.

I tried the Sig P365 before buying the Hellcat and thought the Hellcat felt better in my hand, had better sights, and higher mag capacity. I guess just buy the one YOU like better, they are very similar and both great EDC guns.

Considering the S and W 9MM EZ, my elderly hands haventt the strength to rack the slide on my beloved Sig 229. Rather have the 9mm than the 380. Even my beloved Model 66 is getting too tough to shoot comfortably. Getting old and frail sucks.

0aAZ3sPl.jpg

FM12. -
Beretta still makes a tip up barrel 14 shot .380 that requires no racking of the slide. Plus the gun is pure quality.

Didn't Beretta quit making the Model 86 Cheetah 380 Tip Up about fourteen years ago? Used ones on the web go for a grand or better.
Did they start building them again?

The Hellcat has been a great addition for me. Mine has been accurate, reliable.....just an excellent micro firearm. I would certainly recommend one to anyone looking for a micro semi. I have had a p365 for longer, but it hasn’t been reliable. Get ready though, whenever I mention my experience I am bombarded with Sig enthusiasts insisting that I am the problem and not the pistol. The p365 just got back from its second trip to Sig. I have yet to put it through the paces to see if there is any improvement. I only mention this because both of these pistols are naturally compared to each other (the only reason I got the Hellcat is because of my unfortunate experience with the p365). Oh, and I have nothing against Sig Sauer. My MCX has been flawless. In the end, it doesn’t matter what any of us say about the Hellcat (aside from maybe attesting to its reliability), you simply need to get out and put about 100 rounds through one to see how it feels to you personally. Let us know how your experience goes.

Back