S&W's Perfect Handgun

There's only one handgun that S&W ever called "Perfect" and I just bought one.

It's perfect because it has the perfect action, that of the 32 Hand Ejector Model, however it retains the top break auto ejection feature. Only commoners eject with their hands, perfect people with perfect guns have that done automatically.

This gun was produced between 1909 and 1920 when the USA was most perfect. Howard Taft took office and there were no major wars going on. People were perfectly prospering and that's what inspired S&W to make the perfect handgun.

The 38 S&W is the perfect cartridge. Developed in 1877 it helped protect people moving west. Far more people carried a small packable pistole than a big hunk of steel like a Single Action Army.

So here it is. It's all mine and you can't have it! :D

20180207090156-7085.jpg

Right. Perfected in that while it retains the familiar top break automatic ejection, it has the lockwork of a Hand Ejector. I bet it has a better trigger pull than the .38 Double Action.
Not to mention "two factor" action opening; a more secure lockup and prevents a gun grabber from disarming you by getting hold of the top latch and unloading your revolver.

I've heard it repeated often about the side latch being part of the design as a result of a gun disabled in the field but I don't believe it.

I think it was more likely implemented for a few reasons. First, S&W were already producing swing out cylinder models so it would be easier to manufacture if the actions were the same sharing many parts. Second it is probably a stronger design having a lock in the middle of the cylinder as well as the top of the frame. I'm not going to try the heavy 38/200 loads used by the British but I'm sure it could handle it.

I was fortunate enough to find a bullet mold that almost perfectly replicates the original made by NOE. This one is 150gr and most are 145. This specific design keeps most of the mass outside the case. There's not much room in there so this design allows for more powder inside.

I did a custom order through Lee for a .361 sizing die. Once I have the gun in hand I'll check the throats with my pin gauge set. I don't really want to try pounding a ball of lead into the barrel if I can help it.

The Lyman cast book has some smokeless loads but doesn't recommend them in top breaks. I may stick with black and subs. I have some hard pressed Cottenell powder (yes that's charred toilet paper) ready to try as well as some Pyrodex and 777 which can give some really good performance without a lot of volume.

363-150-RN_PB_BR4.jpg

I wonder why they quit making this gun.

And yes, I've heard that the .38 S&W cartridge will blow a lung out of an adversary.

And that gun is about the prettiest thing I've seen since the young Janine Turner on "Northern Exposure."

Good find.

Henry should have put their spin on the old S&W top break revolvers, small and large frame.
I would love to have one of them in say 44SPL. Much much more than their current offering.
Top breaks were always very elegant, they could even put some brass on it, if they really had to.

Elegant and lovely

Congrats. Glock only thinks they are perfect! Elegant, exactly the right word for a top break revolver. I've a .32 S&W top break by H+R fairly unusual, most are nickel and beat. Mine is blue and pristine other than some discoloration. Doubt it has ever been fired. It has a wonderful feel, rather a reminder of bygone times, elegant is exactly the right word. Nicely machined tho I am sure it is quite soft, it's a blackpowder gun, I do not have a burning desire to fire it. It will remain as is. I'm sure it's life was spent in a sock drawer.

First, S&W were already producing swing out cylinder models so it would be easier to manufacture if the actions

There was a minority variant without the thumb latch. I read that most of them were sold south.

That is a nice one. I have had couple dozen S&W top breaks in last 5 years. Never a boxed one although some were excellent. I never shoot them, trade bait for P&R era shooters.

The picture I posted was actually just for illustrative purposes so I don't think I'm getting a box. This is the one I actually won. Equally good condition. The picture link might disappear soon, hence the stand in. My photo sharing site is no longer free so I can't upload pictures anymore.

This is a 3 1/4" barrel. It should be here on Thursday. I can make a video of it then to share through YT.

pix919630502.jpg

I wonder why they quit making this gun.

I think I have a possible reason... just got done speaking with my S&W guru, as I was not really familiar with the model pictured, and he filled me in on a couple of things, first off, they were not made in large numbers or for very long.

Seems that they were not all that popular because of the growing belief that the solid frame revolver was a superior gun, and also because they were a "bit wonky" in that BOTH the side cylinder latch AND the top break latch had to be operated at the same time to open the gun. :rolleyes:

To me this seems like the worst of both worlds.

Allegedly the Perfected was brought out at the behest of police and others to prevent the top latch being pulled, either intentionally or accidentally, and opening the gun.

Who knows.

Back