S&W Sigma Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, the Sigma is better "human engineered" than the Glock and fits the hand better. Mine is usually reliable, but one brand of ammo gave 3-4 jams per magazine. I don't think the gun is inherently inaccurate, but it has a poor sear letoff, and I tend to pull my shots. Off a rest and really concentrating, I can get very good groups. BTW, I am no novice; I have fired thousands of rounds DA from revolvers (S&W preferred) and many thousands more from various and assorted pistols, rifles and shotguns. I can cope with long pulls, hard pulls and creepy pulls, but I can't master that Sigma!

Last year, in a CHL class, a husband and wife came to the range - they each had a new 9mm Sigma. Before shooting, we asked if they wanted them lubricated. They said no.

We couldn't run a 5-shot string without one or the other Sigma malfunctioning - one gun being as bad as the other.

Finally, one instructor had his fill, strongly requested that they lube their guns. Embarrassed, they each let him lube the guns to excess - I mean they were "wet"!

Amazingly, neither Sigma malfunctioned again - not once! Don't know how big a sample two guns are, but they were identical pistols, with identical problems, and apparently identical cures!

Curious, eh?

This is my first post on your excellent
board.

I am a newbie to pistol shooting.
I purchased a range membership and a Glock
23 about 6 months ago. About a 2 months
later, I purchased a used Sigma (SW9F).
Having both a Glock and Sigma, I feel that I
don't particularly have an ax to grind, one way or the other. However, after reading the
negative posts concerning the Sigma (where
it seems common that the authors state that
they do not own one), I felt compelled to
respond. Although I had some initial
problems with my Sigma (related, I believe
to a dirty striker channel and/or faulty ammo), I have been very satisfied with it since. With it, I routinely shoot under 1 1/2 inch groups of 10 in slow aimed fire at a range of 7 meters. My personal best group with this gun was around 0.7 inches (center-to-center).

On the other hand, the Glock is my carry
piece.

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in...

I shot a .380 sigma for about one hundred rounds. about two weeks later my hand quit hurting. damned thing kicked harder than a .44mag... SERIOUSLY!!!

it's light, easy to conceal, and the grips rule and I like that... but that darn recoil!

and the sights suck... i prefer dots rather than that "channel" or whatever they call it.

I'm not sure that the G26 is the best CCW but it bests the sigma for reasons other than aesthetics... (eg recoil)

Local T&E gun, an "Enhanced" Sigma, has a nasty habit of click and no bang. This happens during courses of fire, plinking and stress exercises. No mark on primer, just a nice click when it should have gone bang. I was aware of the USP 40 doing this, but was rather disconcerting to actually see a new gun do this.

I have a .40 Sigma, but can't say I am fond of it. It has never failed to fire but trigger is hard to control for accuracy. With some ammo, I have had 2-3 jams per magazine which I put down to ammo and didn't use that in Sigma any more. Ergonomics are good, better than the Glock and a lot of other hi-cap (or designed as hi-cap) frames.

Can you give me some more info about this click instead of bang. I have a S&W Sigma 9F that I am growing quite fond of. Around round 75 I had a round either "go click" or light strike or the sear failed to reset. It was very difficult to extract this round. Unfortunately after I finally extracted the round, I gave it a quick once over, rechambered it and fired it no problem. Dummy me, I forgot to check the primer so I don't know what the nature of the failure was. Put another 75 thru it that day no problem. Last weekend I put another 150 thru it with no problems. I really shoot this gun quite well so I don't want to give it up but I also don't want a gun that I rely on for self defense to fail on me when I need it. Guess I need to know the frequency of click instead of bang that is being observed in that weapon and any other info you can provide.

I don't own a Sigma or a Glock. I don't think I ever will unless someone gives me one because I don't think I'll ever spend my hard-earned money on a gun made of plastic and cheap metal stampings until they sell them at a fair price (say, $29).
However, I've shot Glocks and they are reliable and accurate enough for self defense if you can get used to the worst trigger ever inflicted on a gullible public.
You can point out the materials and manufacturing short-cuts to potential customers but just like Yugo owners a few years back, they still plunk down their cash.

The Sigma on the other hand is made of the same cheap materials but can't even compete as a "reliable" weapon. Gun Tests magazine, possibly the only honest gun mag (they accept no advertisements), regularly tests and rips apart Sigma pistols. Sometimes they work, but theres always shortcomings and glitches.
If you're going to spend a lot of money on a pistol, buy one that won't melt under your car seat on a hot day.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back