S&W Sigma Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnT

Inactive
I have not paid any attention to the S&W's polymer Sigma series over the past several years, but today I noticed an ad that stated that the series had been "enhanced." I heard that the pistol has not very successful since its introduction, but no one has been able to tell me why. Does anyone have experience with the Sigmas, and particularly with the "new" version. I have never even seen one at a gun shop.

------------------

I unfortunately bought one of the original 9mm. I've never shot this gun well. Can't really say why (how's that for a vague answer) it also fails to go into battery<sp?> quite often. So far no one seems to be able to figure out why. I'd sell it but who would want to buy this piece of detritus<sp??>.

------------------
Ciao

MM

From what I've been told, the Sigmas sell very well in Europe. I've only shot the old versions and not reengineered post-lawsuit settlement one. Shot OK for me and the grip was certainly felt better than the Glock. I'll stick with my Sig P220 though.

No experience with the Sigma, but the I think most people disregard it because of the huge popularity of it's competitor: Glock.

I am not too fond of the .40 caliber. The price on the Sigma is excellent. I wouldn't run out and buy one. No one has ever said anything real good about them to me. I think they have bugs that need working out.

Uncertain
Virg

I looked at the Sigma's when they first came out and they were exactly what they appeared- rip-offs of Glocks that had a few window dressings applied. I think most people realized this and didn't buy....

I had heard that Glock sued S&W. Does anyone know what the verdict was??

Hi Everyone. I just found this site yesterday and I am already throwing my weight around:-)
I am a proud owner of a Sigma 40V gun. It fits my hand well(better than the Glock I was thinking of getting) and is quite accurate. My gun does well with the light bullets and is a bit less accurate with the 180 grain stuff. Someone told me this is typical and has to do with barrel twist which was originally designed for the 10mm which is throwing the 180 slug a lot faster. Anyway, winchesters 165 SXT rounds work great for me. The only problem I had was one of those pins in the back of the frame "walking out" after a couple hundred rounds at the range. I sent it back and it was fixed and have had no other malfunctions since.
Now as far as the trigger goes, it is heavier and longer pull than the standard Glock. I think mine is around 7 or 8 pounds but that is Ok for a non-competition oriented gun. The pull when shooting is smooth and consistent.
I have no idea about the new "enhanced" version. I have heard that S&W settled out of court with Glock over the trigger mechanism and S&W agreed to make some minor changes. Maybe that is why they started the "enhanced" version.

Some time read the S&W history by Jenks. You will then fully understand what enhanced means to S&W. As it applies to 'changes' to the guns that 'enhance' the bottom line.
Every production shortcut seems to be termed an 'enhancement'. But I know nothing of the enhancements to the Sigma, but heard at the gun store where I trade that S&W 'won' the suit because there were enough differences to the Glock. Jim

JohnT,

I have one of the original full sized Sigma's in 9mm and I love it! I also have a Glock, and enjoy that, too.

However, in comparison, the Sigma has a better handgrip shape to it. The trigger pulls are very similar, as is the safe trigger mechanisms.

I'm particularly a fan of DAO for defensive pistols, so I actually like both.

I has some trouble with my reloads keeping the gun from going into battery, but that was a fault of my reloads and not the gun. Once I adjusted the dies, the pistol has functioned flawlessly.

Considering the price differenc, I feel the Sigma series to be a better buy than the Glocks,but in a more limited caliber selection. You wouldn't go wrong with the Sigma.

In fact, if you're interested, they just came out with a Sigma in 357 sig.

I think the only reason the Sigma hasn't been more popular with handgunners is that they came out after the Glocks had already gotten a loyal following and their product wasn't different enough to catch on. Actually, I feel they improved somewhat over the Glocks.

Nazman

[This message has been edited by Nazman (edited 02-10-99).]

To all you Sigma owners who say they love their Sigmas more then a Glock...

Burn in Hell you Blasphemers!!

(Just Kidding....)

(Actually, if we went to Hell we are both screwed- Glocks and Sigmas frames would melt anyway!!)

The newest Sigmas are much better than the earlier ones. My first couple Glock 40s weren't too good either BTW.

My sister just traded her G19 for a Sigma; she liked the grip/trigger much better. Shoots it much better too. So far, so good; time will tell?

Sigma is on the FBI approved for optional carry list too.

------------------
>>>>---->

S&W did not win the suit: they settled out of court. I have no idea how they could possibly believe they could get away with such a blatant knock-off.

I bought a Sigma .40F back in '96. I have put more than 2000 rounds through it with no failures. I have always shot well with it. I have found it to be a very reliable duty carry. I bought it because I like the trigger configuration and grip angle more than Glocks. I have since "converted" over to the Glock 31 and 33... I like being able to interchange the mags (and the punch).

Stay safe.

I don't mean to sound rude to the folks who like their Sigmas, but my experience with these guns is that calling them "junk" would be overtly gracious. Bottom line is, you get what you pay for. The Glock is light-years ahead of the sigma in every conceivable dept. (And H&K is light years ahead of Glock! :))

However, the important thing is that the owner of the gun is happy with his/her purchase. If this description fits you, then by all means, keep shooting your Sigma.

-Ryan

Hi Ryan,
Ok, so you don't like the sigma and I do. No surprise that people buy what they like, but I never hear exactly what it is about the sigma that people don't like. Let's face it, it is a copy of the Glock with a better grip angle, at least for my hand. Triggers? They are different in the glock and sigma for sure, but to each his own with that one. What I am trying to say is did you find the gun unreliable or inaccurate? Did the bloody thing explode in your hand or fall apart? I think the Glocks are great guns, but simply didn't like the grip. Someday, if I save my pennies, I hope to buy an HK USP, maybe even the SOCOOM or whatever its called model, but that is only because you can't have too many guns!:-) BTW, if the sigma was junk, I would be the first to say so to warn others and quickly sell mine like I did my colt 1991A1(I'm sure I get flamed for that one!:-),but I bought a Kimber the same day).

I guess I don't really see why it's a copy of the glock. It's a polymer framed DA. (shrug) If it is, so be it, though it's a poor copy in my opinion.

I found (and continue to find) the gun to be unreliable and unaccurate. (No, I don't own one, but have had the displeasure of shooting a few on occasion.) The trigger on the Sigma is beyond bad. No comparison to the Glock there. The fit is terrible. Construction quality is poor to fair at best. Reliability? I've shot one that only had two malfs out of 100 rounds (which is still terrible) but the second I played with had at least 3-4 malfs per mag with multiple types of ammo. But then again, it's a cheap lil' DA. S&W has never made good autos, and the Sigma is their bargain basement version of their more expensive "tactical" models. (Which, in my opinion, are also junk.)

I've run into very few shooters (almost none) who have anything kind to say about the Sigma. You did mention in your post that you have a Kimber 1911 so I have to assume that you've shot at least a few different guns. "To each his own," I suppose, but there are MUCH finer guns out there, that don't cost more than the Sigma. Kahr, Glock and H&K are 900% better guns.

All that being said, I realize I've really disparaged your gun and I apologize in advance for it. It drives me nuts when someone "trash talks" a gun but in my opinion, the Sigma is one of the very few guns in the world that have almost no redeeming qualities. And I'd have to say that every shooter I've ever known who's either owned one or tried one has hated it. (Except for you, of course. :)) But once again, let me say that if the gun works for you, then keep using it. The above is my opinion only from experience with this piece.

Best wishes,

-Ryan

I bought a Sigma 40VE based on the recommendation of a store owner. It was to be a replacement for my Tokarev 213 9mm.

The enhancements include mounting rails for a light or laser, a larger port, rounded corners on the slide, and a few other improvements.

After putting 450 rounds through it, I decided that I didn't like it due to the following reasons:

The grip is too damn fat for my small hands;
The lightweight frame lets it kick like a freakin' mule. I had better control with a Ruger P90, and the guy who owns the P90 had problems with the Sigma. This guy, BTW, is 6'5" and close to 300 pounds.

The guy who sold it to me objected to my wanting to trade it on something smaller, like a Taurus 85/Rossi 68 (which I carry now). I believe he's one of the school that says "American big-caliber, dammit!"

Conclusion: it's not a *bad* gun, but it's not for small or inexperienced shooters. I'd hesitate to recommend it to anyone, really.

Hi Ryan,
Ok, at least you were specific.:-) I just haven't had any of the problems you have described. My gun didn't like the cheap blazer aluminum ammo, but that was about it. As I said before, with the winchester SXT 165 ammo my gun is totally reliable and very accurate. I heard accuracy can suffer with the 180 grainers in the 40.
the triggers are a bit heavier than the glocks, but improve over time in smoothness in my opinion. I don't know, maybe the ones you tried were early production lemons. I will say that my Kimber definetly kicks ass over any combat tupper ware pistol, but the Kimber is my baby to play with at the range. The sigma is one I would carry if i were to do such a thing :-). I don't have any other experience with S&W autos, just their revolvers which I also like. Now the revolvers real have nice triggers.:-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back