S&W scandium J frame vs steel J frame

Last weekend I handled a Smith & Wesson model 340pd and a Smith & Wesson model 360. The lack of mass is the first thing I noticed, a type of lightness that was difficult for me to fully appreciate and understand until it's felt in my hand. I'm considering purchasing the 360 considering it is lightly used and $600 vs $1,200. I think it will be an excellent paramore to my Smith & Wesson model 60 - 9.

Double barreled questions...but it seems like one of the questions is if the 36 is fine for lots of shooting of shooting vs the airweights...right?

The aluminum frame revolver guns will have a shorter interval of maintenance, will be more sensitive to stress failures and cleanliness will help them last longer.

If Smith & Wesson would hire me to perform durability testing [emoji56]....I am certain that if I was wearing leather gloves and had a trash can full of loaded hks36a speed loaders I could batter and shoot loose in one day a scandium frame 357 but that's not what the gun was designed for.

Just keep an eye on cylinder play/shake/rattle, yoke alignment, the extractor rod doesn't get bent etc, keep the barrel forcing cone clean.

If you hand load with lower bullet weights you can reduce the recoil and find something that shoots well while still reducing down time due to maintenance/service and cleaning.

For example a 115 or 125 grain bullet will recoil less than a 158 or 170 grain in 38 Special assuming both are loaded to standard pressure or similar pressures.

A scandium aluminum alloy frame will be stronger than a plain aluminum frame.

A steel frame will be stronger than either.

If you want to shoot a steady diet of +P, you'd better off with a steel frame. Or better still a K-frame.

It is heavier than I want to drop in a pocket. And if I am wearing a holster I can as easily carry a sixshooter or automatic.

Hey, Bob.
I'm in Collierville. Buy you lunch sometime.

I carried a Model 36 for many years. I now carry an Airweight (aluminum) 637-2 lightened up with a titanium .357 Mag cylinder and reamed for 9mm (I use 147gr).

It is a delight to carry, and weight (12.5 ounces) is ideal, but recoil does attract your attention. So far, it is holding up OK though I think of the frame as a consumable.

Nathan, yes - I've got thirty or so 9mm moonclips.
I usually carry an extra three in a Walmart pill bottle.

Attachments

• 2018-12-17 18.07.32.jpg
    2018-12-17 18.07.32.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 32
I have a 642, a 342, a model 30, and had a model 60. For pocket carry, I don't think anything is better than an Airlight or Airweight. I sure wouldn't shoot .357 loads through a 340 but I think it would be a great choice with .38s.

In addition to less weight, the Airweights and especially Airlights are more corrosion resistant than blued or stainless revolvers. I rusted a Kimber K6s under the grips from sweating.

Back