S&W Performance Center Hits a New Low

S&W revolvers

After reading the many negative comments about S&W within this thread, I feel compelled to say that my own two S&W wheelguns, models 686-4 .357/38sp. and 625-6 .45ACP, exhibit both fine workmanship and excellent performance at the range. My fellow range members number about 400 and many have S&W handguns. I have yet to hear a negative comment concerning their workmanship or accuracy.

Welcome to TFL!

I feel compelled to say that my own two S&W wheelguns, models 686-4 .357/38sp. and 625-6 .45ACP, exhibit both fine workmanship...

My point exactly. Your 625 is at least four years old and your 686 at least six.

Both of your guns predate the newer lockwork (circa 1999-2000) that seems to require more attention from a gunsmith to get it "just right", and additionally, requires a heavier double action pull in order to ensure reliable ignition with the frame-mounted inertial firing pins.

Far from "slamming" *&* in general, I am acknowledging that:
my PC-13 and/or my 625-4 are, if not the best guns I own, close enough to make argument on it pointless. My 629-1 and 586 are both stellar wheelguns, too.

But based on many new examples I've seen at the shop I work at and at gun shows, their quality has started slipping noticeably.

I bought a 696 5 shot 44 special when they came out. That thing was out of time out of the box. Hunt for the older ones, say up to about 1990. It amazes me what with CNC machinery and all that they have had QC troubles. Could be morale at the factory... Also all the old craftsmen that were there when I went to Revolver Armorer School, some with 40 years or more on, are long gone...

I must be lucky

I must also be one of the lucky ones. I just recently bought a Performance Center V-Comp revolver like the one at the link below. I did have a gunsmith do a trigger job before I even picked it up, but the single action trigger pull is incredible. The double action is a little heavy, but very smooth and I asked that he error on the side of dependability. The gun fits my hand much better than my Ruger Redhawk (nice, accurate gun, but not in same class as to handling - though to be fair not gunsmithed and half the cost). Both shoot incredibly well. About two weeks ago, we were shooting chicken eggs against a dirt bank with the Redhawk. I could do the same with the Smith within my first dozen shots. It is absolutely now my favorite revolver.

FWIW: It is the only S&W product I've bought new since the agreement and only did that after I heard the company had been sold. Also FWIW, I have a S&W .22 pistol 422? that is a piece of junk. Very lightweight. Feels fairly nice. Jams all the time and not very accurate for me.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/sport/m629vc5.html

7th Fleet,
'I have heard on other boards that Smith & Wesson is also making castings for Kimber. Has anyone else heard of this?'

Not exactly. S&W provides frame and slide raw forgings to Kimber. S&W forgings for the gun industry are some of the best available anywhere in the world. Most casting for the gun industry in the U.S. is done by Ruger in Prescott, Az.

*&* quality

I have managed to get my hands on 2 of the new hertiage series of *&* revolvers and I must say they looked and felt good. Not enough to pay $1000 for one but pretty good. But when I have to pay as much as an origional with handfitting for a new repro I will go for the origional. These are the only new *&* guns to have temped me in quite some time. I mainly like to aquire the classics of the line: 10, 25-5 , 29, 57,(still looking for a 58 I can afford)etc. Now Taurus has some real nice revolvers I yearn for the SSTracker in 41 magnum being one and the 454 Raging bull another.
So many guns So little money!

It's interesting to see how many gun mfgrs. ads in the gun rags tout their latest pistola being from the "Performance Center" or "Custom Shop," etc. Methinks this is merely a marketing ploy to annoint the product with an aura of exclusivity and quality superior to their regular guns "made on the manufacturing floor" which is wholey undeserved. As for S&W, they can ES&D, unless the agreement is forthrightly and publicly repudiated.

Back