S & W Performance Center 629 V Comp 44 mag

Herb Leventhal

I have been a 44 mag revolver enthusiast including owning several S&W versions and handloading with a Dillon Press. My workhorse is a 44 Mag S&W Classic Dx 629 6.5 barrel. I have an opportunity to purchase the Performance Center 629 V Comp (4 inch barrel length) with removable compensator/crown. at ~$749.
I would appreciate any first hand information from anyone out there who owns or has used this model with full house factory or factory equivalent loads.
How would you rate this model with the Classic Dx in 6.5 inch barrel?
Herb Leventhal
hlvnth@compuserve.com

Herb- A Question Please?

What full power load does your gun prefer? Any luck with cast bullets at all? Could you share some best groups say at 50 and 100yds? I'm in a quandry over choosing a S&W or Dan Wesson for some long range paper punching..Many thanks, Roy

get it i would.i love the colt anaconda but i would pay the same money or less for sure for that 629 performance center gun

To Robert the 41 mag fan:
Thanks for the comment, Assuming that you own or have shot the S&W 629 V Comp 44 mag how would you compare the standard S&W 629 Classic or Classic DX to the Performance Center version. I'm sort of looking for an excuse to purchase the Performance Center edition if you know what I mean!
Herb

My personal 44 mag load

To Alaska Roy:
I have only one handload- PMC 44 mag brass, Winchester large pistol primer,22.8 grains of Winchester 296 powder, sitting under either a 240 gr lead Carroll bullet or a Hornady XTP 240 gr jacketed hollow point. The latter is used at the end of the shooting session to "clean the barrel of lead". I might add the Carroll bullet is very hard with absolutely no visible leading. My range buddies tell me that the noise and muzzle flash ( 6 feet) are something to behold. I guess that's why I love 44 mag. Accuracy with each load is excellent but some better with the Hornady XTP copper jacketed bullet.
Herb

Performance Center 629 V COMP 44 Mag

Scoop;
The only problem is the Performance Center piece lists for $749. The Anaconda I believe is significantly less money
Herb

Herb

A new Anaconda (any DA Colt NIB) is selling for the same price as a gun from the Performance Center. What someone is willing to pay for anything with the Colt logo is beyond me.

The muzzle blast from the V Comp is just as intense as any other S&W model. Recoil, although a bit more subdue, is still ferocious. One one word can really describe the V Comp and that is accuracy. The weight and length of the barrel is so perfect that the gun balances in your hands perfect. Making off hand accuracy superb.

Got, I think, four V Comp guns (both the 6" and 4" .44 mag included) and this is one of my favorites.

3S&W629s.JPG

Robert

I should be able to tell you something soon! I have a 4" 629 V-Comp ordered and it is supposed to be in this week!:D :D I can't wait! I would have had it Friday but the distributor sent a 2" instead of a 4" so my FFL had to send it back. Can't wait for the old pager to go off with that gunshop's number in it!!!!! :D

R6

By the way Robert, have you shot any .44 Special ammo through your V-Comp? Just curious as to how tame they must be with the comp and the weight of this gun.

R6

Rainbow Six

I'm one of those weirdo guys (anal!) that will only shoot cases through the gun that it was designed to shoot. Will down load the 44 Magnum to 44 Special specs, but no short cases in my cylinders. Nothing wrong with shooting short cases though, I just have my ways.

This gun has shot for example:

6.5gr 231 with 240 gr LSWC (very mild)
20gr 2400 with 240 gr LSWC (manageable)
28 gr H110 with 200gr JSP (rifle load)
19 gr H110 with 300gr LBT (hold on tight)

All these loads have shot very accurately from this gun and I think it will do the same with just about any load.

Robert

Rainbow 6
When you do receive your 4in. V Comp and try it out please send a post as to your opinion especially as it may compare to a standard Classic or Classic Dx 629 in 6.5 in barrel length
Thanx
Herb

I had the 629Vcomp for a little over a year. Greate gun.

I put an Optima 2000 on it and with the right ammo, as tight a group as my DW 445 or FA.

Awesome little gun for up 50yrd shooting(you can do more of course).

I highly recommend it. (lighter mainspring/loosened is a must)

-CAL

Yessssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!! What a way to start the day!! A new hand cannon!!! :D Here's my new baby. If this doesn't make you need a cigarette, nothing will!! And I don't even smoke!!! :D

v-comp_01.jpg

Please excuse the "quickie" quality of the photo. Just couldn't wait to show it off! ;) Better pics and a "shots fired" review to come as soon as I get to the range. Initial impressions? The DA trigger pull is a little heavy but smooth and doesn't move the sights. The SA pull makes me quiver it feels so good. The feel and balance is awesome. I've had other things to feel better in my hand but only one of them was a gun!:D (For those interested, that gun is my Remington 700 LTR .308:))

Shooting review to come...I can't wait!! :D After that, it's off to Ken Knull for a custom carry rig!! :D

R6

S&W 629 V Comp Performance Center

Rainbow-6
Yes indeed!!! That is certainly a beautiful piece. The grips even look better than the ones I saw at the gun store. Please send a picture with the compensator off but with the muzzel cap on.
I would be most interested in your description of the guns balance, handling,and accuracy with live fire. I'm salivating "getting close to making a deposit".
Herb

Herb,

Ask and ye shall reveive! Here are a couple of pics with the muzzle protector on in place of the comp. :D Doesn't look bad, but I MUCH prefer it with the comp. As a note, the fit of the protector is so tight that it's kinda hard to get off the gun. I may end up doing a little polishing on the inside of it to loosen it up a bit. No big deal.

v-comp_02.jpg

v-comp_03.jpg

Still not the best pics but it gives you a pretty good idea of what it looks like with the cap on. :)

R6

R6,

Congrats on the new cannon.:)

You working this Saturday? If not, want to meet at Advanced around 9am to try it out?:D

Joe

Back