S&W Model 64 vs. 686

"...think I would get a good deal..." Nope. Dunno if Cabela's even does trades, but dealers base what they give as a trade in value(or buying the thing) on their wholesale price and how fast they think they can sell it.
Generally, you're better off selling the thing privately. Or putting it in a shop on consignment. That's the dealer selling it for you and taking a predetermined fee. Usually a percentage.
"...but they are expensive..." Used is not an ugly word when it comes to firearms. It takes a lot of abuse to damage a modern revolver. However, that revolver or pistol must fit your hand.
"...if I were to CC..." You want a firearm you can shoot well. Size doesn't matter, but most .380's have crappy sights(if it has a sight) and lousy triggers. Factory triggers don't matter as all new firearms require a trigger job. Easier to do that on a revolver or larger pistol.

If you feel the need to sell them off to get something else, find someone who wants the gun and do a private sale, or put it up for consignment at your favorite dealer. The later is usually easier, as they have a steady flow of possible buyers, and they are motivated to sell the gun, and at the best price, as the more they get, the more they make. Most places Ive dealt with get a 15% fee.

The 64 is a good gun, and Id hang onto it and learn to shoot it properly. Id do that before I moved up to 357mag.

I have a number of S&W .38's and 357's, one of which is a police trade in DAO 64. Great shooter and easy to shoot well with.

While 357mag is more powerful, the .38's will work well too, especially if youre capable with them. I think to many people get all caught up in the marketing of the "magic bullets", and expect they will make up for their shortcomings. They wont.

I practice with 158 grain LSWC's and would have no problem using them for serious things. They would likely over penetrate, but they are accurate and will do the job if they are placed appropriately. Thats why we practice regularly and realistically too.

I wouldnt go selling or trading off what you have, to go down to a 380. If you want a gun for carry, you want a "realistic" gun you shoot well with. Dont let size of the gun drive your choices. With little effort, you can carry pretty much anything. Carrying a gun you dont shoot well with simply because its easier to carry, makes no sense to me. Its not a fashion accessory.

Handguns require more effort to be proficient with as it is, why make things worse, with guns that are harder to shoot well with?

Factory triggers don't matter as all new firearms require a trigger job.
Sounds like an ad for a gunsmith. :rolleyes:

Contrary to what was stated above, I have yet to come across a "bad" factory trigger, in anything I can remember, over about 50 years now.

Now if youre "trigger phobic", and a "trigger worrier", perhaps thats the case. Like the "magic bullets", trigger jobs are basically a mental fix for a lack of skill.

Learn to shoot that 64 DAO using its factory trigger, and Ill guarantee you, youll be able to shoot pretty much anything you pick up without thought or issue.

Insist on not being able to shoot anything without a trigger job, and youll always be right, and a lot poorer. ;)

Cabelas will hose you big time on a trade or sell. Keep what you have. You probably don't need a 686. HOWEVER, "need" is often not the issue. It's hard to find someone who knows much about revolvers that will say a bad word about a 686. It is a great gun. I much prefer it to a 64 (still nothing wrong with a 64). The out of the box factory trigger will likely be outstanding albeit a bit heavy. All you have to do is buy and install a lighter rebound/trigger return spring (<$10). Easy job, just watch a few youtube videos for direction. So keep what you have and save your nickels for a 686! At least that's what I'd do. Good luck!

Honestly. I’m a gun guy. I carry a Wilson Master Grade .45 I had built in 1990 or so. I have lots of guns. I would, very happily, be “stuck” with a good K Frame .38 for the rest of my life and feel perfectly OK.

As a matter of fact, I often carry a 3” 65 or a Ruger Speed Six in .357 Magnum quite often.

There is nothing. Nothing wrong with a good .38 loaded with good rounds. Buffalo Bore makes .38 rounds that are knocking on the door of .357 Magnum. Unless you practice a bunch, a K frame .357 gets old, fast.

Accuracy and follow up trumps raw horsepower. A good .38 allows both.

FYI on Cabelas... as an example, a few years back, I took in a mint SW 3913TSW 9mm that cost about $900.00 New, to Cabelas to see what they would offer during their "Gun Show" weekend. Nice gun, but I didn't like the "Rail". Brand new in the box mind you.... they offered $180 cash or $225 in store credit. Insulting to say the least. I walked and later sold it to an Attorney I knew for $550.00. I would NEVER waste my time even considering trading / selling a gun to Cabelas again. They do have some deals on new guns and used guns, but pertaining to trades / selling, I would advise no. I understand there is a profit to be made, etc., and a new gun loses value, however their overhead / profit margin is SO high, they cannot give what I consider to be a fair trade. Nothing wrong with a hot .38 spl round. I have an old Police trade in model 10 HB (blue version of the 64), super accurate.

Last edited:
I have a '64 I use in ICORE and wouldnt trade it for anything.

I dont like the L Frames, but thats just my personal opinion, I cant point out anything wrong with them.

I use to shoot a heck of a lot of 357 loads and have shot a Model 19 and Model 13 loose.

For 357s I like the N Frames, In 1974 when I hired out with the Anchorage PD, I was issued a Model 28. Carried it for 20 years and the Dept gifted it to me when I retired.

I have a gazillian heavy 357s through it and it still just as solid and the day it was issued to me.

I'm just odd, but I dont shoot 38s out of my 357s. I have enough 38s guns for 38s but most of my 38s are fired through my Model 64 or my 642 pocket (carry) gun.

Julius Caesar said:
I mainly use the gun for range fun, although I keep it locked away in case of a home invader...

...are there any real world benefits to owning one over the 64?

The 686 is heavier and has adjustable sights, both of which make it the better "range fun" gun, IMO. And if you get the itch to check out a local match, a 6-shot 686 would be the obvious choice over a M64. Your M64 is easier to carry and conceal (especially if it's got a <4" barrel) regularly, but it doesn't sound like CC is one of the issues.

As mentioned, you can still shoot .38spl out of the 686 (and without loss of accuracy), but you can't shoot .357mag out of your M64, so the 686 is the clear winner as far as versatility. It's tough to beat a 4" .357mag revolver for all-around versatility.

AK103K said:
Contrary to what was stated above, I have yet to come across a "bad" factory trigger, in anything I can remember, over about 50 years now.

Maybe so, but IME, "good" factory triggers are rare. It's a rare gem that can't be improved with a good action job.

AK103K said:
Learn to shoot that 64 DAO using its factory trigger, and Ill guarantee you, youll be able to shoot pretty much anything you pick up without thought or issue.

I'm a fan of double action shooting, so I'll agree that learning to shoot DA well develops control that transfers to other guns well. But as far as insisting on a factory trigger, regardless of it's quality, see below...

AK103K said:
Insist on not being able to shoot anything without a trigger job, and youll always be right, and a lot poorer.

There's another school of thought on that - a good trigger (factory or tuned) allows a new-ish shooter to develop good fundamental trigger control, which allows them to transition to other triggers easier.

In contrast, one can learn to shoot well with a bad gritty trigger, but they've likely just learned some bad habits that just happen to compensate for that particular trigger - more importantly, the poor trigger control they've learned doesn't transfer well to other guns.

My advice, then, is to start on a good trigger. If your factory gun is one of those rare gems I mentioned, hang onto it. Otherwise, get an action job. JMO.

Back