S&W Model 27 and 28

The exact revolvers in the two attached pictures above. The M27 is 8 3/8" barrel and the M28 with a 4" barrel. The M27 shows a lot of length of beautiful checkering across the top strap. :)

Back through the 80s, S&W sold "blister packs" with the target hammer and trigger, to be installed by their authorized warranty shops. I have what was a "ASNIB" 28-2 that has the model 27 target hammer and trigger. Combined with Pachmyr grips, its is my favorite DA revolver. Deadly accurate, and bank vault strong.

I, personally, prefer the Satin Blue of the 28 over the High Lustre Blue of the 27 (and the 29-2 I have). I just think it looks better.

28s only came with either the 4" or 6" barrel. And the smaller "Magna" stocks were the standard. 27s could be had in several different variations of barrel and stocks.

28s were Satin Blue. Only. The only exception I know is there were a few pistols factory nickel plated for the Miami PD. 5, that we know of. SO, if you find a nickel 28, odds are about 99.9% it was done aftermarket.

One variation I remember, and briefly owned, was a Model 28 with a red insert in the front sight done at the factory. I think it was at the request of the NY State Police.

Sold to a cop who was collecting all sorts of Smiths and variations.

And again at the request of NY, there was the Model 520 in 1980 which was a high polished fixed sighted 4-incher, harking back as it were to the .38/44 models.

The S&W Model 27 and 28 are some of my very favorite handguns. My first revolver was a 4" M28-2 that I purchased in a pawn shop for $250. Over the next summer I shot that revolver quite a bit as I put 100 rounds of .357 Magnum ammo through it about once a week (back then I could get S&B 158 gr JSP from the same shop for $12 per box). That revolver has been back to S&W once as the trigger axis pin broke (I suspect due to a previous owner fiddling around under the sideplate) and I had them re-time and reblue the gun while they had it there.

I also have a very treasured 5" M27-2 that I bought shortly after graduating college. I was ecstatic to find it for $600 at Gander Mountain of all places and nearly set my pants on fire pulling my wallet out at supersonic speed. That revolver enjoyed a place as the crown jewel of my collection for a few years.

I have, however, always lusted after a 3 1/2" model ever since first seeing a picture of one as a teenager as it is, IMHO, the finest looking handgun ever made. For years I searched for one and never seemed to be able to find one, much less at a price I could afford. Finally, a little over a year ago, I found a very nice Pre-Model 27 (1950 mfg) with the desired barrel length in a small shop for $1200. While the price was a touch more than I would have liked to pay, I decided to finally take the plunge and get one of my grail guns. Imagine my delight when, upon coming back to buy it, the proprietor of the shop told me I could have it for $1000 if I paid cash. I wound up driving an extra 40 miles to find a branch of my bank to get the money (I'd planned on buying it with a credit card) but the grail gun was finally mine.

I've owned revolvers from H&R, Taurus, Webley, Ruger, and Colt in calibers from .22 LR and .32 S&W Long to .41 Magnum and .44 Magnum, but for me it just doesn't get any better than a S&W N-Frame .357 Magnum.

The 27 (and variants) was the top of the S&W line as far as fit and finish. They were built to be top grade revolvers. The 28 was a lower cost cop gun with far fewer options and a much lower grade of finish. The 27's grandpa was the original 357 now called the Registered Magnum.

The 27 line is my favorite revolver. The 6" version is the most popular and most commonly seen but I have never owned one. I have the longer 8" model, some 5" and 3.5" versions and one rarely seen 6.5" 357 shipped in 1957.

In terms of the quality of fit, finish and workmanship on Smith & Wesson revolvers, other N-frame variants like the early Models 29 (.44 Magnum), 57 (.41 Magnum) and 25 (.45ACP) are great examples of some of the best ever made and are in the same league as the great Model 27, imo.

I agree dgludwig, S&W basically turned the Model 28 into a more workman's or utility version of the Model 27. A main objective was to reduce cost for affordability to law enforcement.

This was achieved by reducing the manufacturing process by eliminating cosmetics. One way was by having a brush blue finish vs. the highly polished bright blue finish. The second significant cost savings was to eliminated the checking/serrations of the top strap and replace with a matt finish to eliminate glare for the shooter.

The Model 28 is just as high a quality in functionality without the higher cost finish.

Most of the above insight came from Roy Jink's book "History of Smith & Wesson" and Jim Supica and Richard Nahas book "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" 4th Edition.

Back