S&W Model 27 and 28

lamarw

I have recently had the good fortune of obtaining two nice condition revolvers. The first one is a Model 27-2 manufactured in 1979. The latest is a Model 28-2 manufactured in 1973 which is also known and named the Highway Patrolman.

The Model 27 is about as good as it gets with S&W and has a highly polished blued finish and detailed finely checkered top strap. It was a relatively expensive revolver at the time. Law Enforcement had a hankering for a good solid .357 Magnum and ask for a similar gun at less expense. S&W responded with the Model 28 and reduced cost by eliminating the beautiful checkering and highly polished blued finish. Otherwise, it is the same heavy duty N Frame.

Both of my revolvers have the pinned barrel and recessed cylinders.

Attachments

• Model 27 in Box.jpg
    Model 27 in Box.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 208
  • Model 27 Top Strap.jpg
    Model 27 Top Strap.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Highway Patrolman1.jpg
    Highway Patrolman1.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 170
I still regret passing up a Model 27 in the 1970's.

I'd be hard pressed to choose between a Colt Python and an S&W Model 27 as far as fit and finish are concerned.

Many experts right here on this site have praised both the 27 and 28 and very few have ever AFAIK said much of anything bad about them.

Are these going to be collector pieces for you, do you plan to fire them a little or are they going to be regularly fired?

I think the Model 27 is the pinnacle of beauty and function in a .357 mag. revolver. The Model 28 is just 2nd to the 28 and in some ways better. I like the trigger on the 28 better than the serrated target trigger of the 27. But, since I'm a .41 mag guy I'll stick with my 4" and 6" Model 57's and am plenty happy with them. I do have a pretty strong hankering for a Model 15 though.

I have heard the comparison of the two revolvers put this way: "Wear the 27 on Sunday and the 28 the rest of the week."

The Granddaddy of the N Frame .357 Magnum was the Registered Magnum of 1930's vintage. The Father was the Unregistered Magnum after S&W discontinued registering them.

I have both, my favorite revolvers.

I was issued the 4" Model 28 when I got into LE in 1974. Later got a 6.5 inch Model 27, thinking I'd add a little class as a service revolver. Didn't work, that extra 2.5 inches sucked when you're setting in a patrol car 10 hours a day.

I think the '28 is the perfect service revolver if you carry 357s. You wont wear it out.

The '27 is just class, and I can shoot it a tad better then my Model 28. But I think the longer sight radius helps there.

There was a time in the late 70s and 80s that saw a huge demand for the Model 27 for some reason. I was lucky and got mine before the drought. It was referred to by many as the "Cabbage Patch Gun" (in reference to the Cabbage Patch Doll that was so popular, and do to demand, impossible to find).

Hard to say which one I like the best. My M-27 is nice, but I got sort of attached to my Model 28 after carrying it for 20 years, and it was "gifted to me" by the department when I retired.

If I was ever to get back into LE, my number one choice of a service pistol/revolver would be my Model 28.

It was quite the moose slayer.

IMG_NEW.jpg

Model%2028.JPG

I had many of both 27s and 28s pass through my hands in the 1970s. I switched barrels and even had two 28s turned into .44spl; I already had 4" and 6" 1950 .44spl barrels. I kept a 6" M28 and a 5" M27. I foolishly let a beautiful 8" M27 slip away. i still have a bunch of 28 & 27 barrels of various lengths in case I ever get the itch to start switching barrels on them or even on my M19.

I was an idiot and sold my so far only 28 to a co-worker when I was moving. It had "patina" and had come with a target trigger and hammer. Someone added rubber grips along the way and it had a really nice smoothed up trigger. DA pull was super smooth. Now I'm looking for another one.

The .357 Magnum which became the model 27 was the flagship of the Smith and Wesson product line. It was one of the finest if not THE finest production revolver produced.
I've been lucky enough to have two model 27's, a 6" and a 3 1/2". Sadly both were to nice to shoot, and I don't want anything that is so nice I'm afraid to use it. One I traded, for another Smith and Wesson .357. The other I gifted to a Good friend who will pass it down to his grandson.
Now, my 4" model 28 is every bit as good a revolver as the 27's, but it was produced to be a use me working gun. Believe me I do use it. As it's big and heavy I don't carry it a lot but boy do I like shooting it, when I do.

When I was in school I could only afford a cheap RG .38 spl. When I got out, I saved up and got this Model 27-3. It was my bedside gun for 20 years or so. Since then, I've gotten a six inch barreled Model 27-2 and a six inch barreled Model 28.

SW_Model_27_05a.jpg

Even though I know the .357 is all about velocity, I've always wanted a 27 with a 3.5" barrel.
Love the G-man look.

Polishing a revolver is a job requiring a skilled polisher .That's why the M27 was 30% more than the M28 !
Mine is the 'grown up' model M29 !
I used my skills to get a clean breaking 2.25 pound single action pull and a 9 pound very smooth DA. Lots of metallic silhouette matches and a bunch of deer it's been kept in great condition-- a real keeper !:)

Howdy

I only have one Model 27, this no dash 27 that left the factory in 1959.

model%2027%2007_zpszq97oozg.jpg

Here is a view of the checkering on the top strap. Even the body of the rear sight has checkering on it. Model 19-3 in the background.

Top%20Straps%20Model%2027%20model%2019_zpsoaibzlwc.jpg

I have three Model 28s. This 28-2 was probably made around 1973.

Model%2028-2%2001_zpsyxvgth0g.jpg

This one shipped in 1965. I have another one just like it that shipped about the same time.

Model%2028_01_zpszm3omzpa.jpg

Last edited:
I have always figured the 28 (28-2 actually) as it is an amazing shooter and so affordable since they aren't fancy and S&W made so many. Because the 28-2 is all that & more, I thought I could never come up with any solid reason to chase down a 27.

But alas... I have!

The 28 (unless I am mistaken?) was never offered in the long tube, just the 4" and 6". But the 27 can be had with the big 8-3/8", and maybe THAT is the reason I will use to buy one! :D

I have always figured the 28 (28-2 actually) as it is an amazing shooter and so affordable since they aren't fancy and S&W made so many. Because the 28-2 is all that & more, I thought I could never come up with any solid reason to chase down a 27.

But alas... I have!

The 28 (unless I am mistaken?) was never offered in the long tube, just the 4" and 6". But the 27 can be had with the big 8-3/8", and maybe THAT is the reason I will use to buy one!

Those were my exact thoughts, which lead to a 4" M28 and a 8-3/8" M27. I think I have stared and fondled those two revolvers more than any of the others I own.

Back