S&W Model 1937 Brazilian contract

I have never understood the objection to full moon clips. If I only had one or two clips, I probably wouldn't want to bother either, but they are cheap, so get a couple of dozen. Load them before you leave for the range, and spend your time shooting instead of tediously loading one round at a time.

Same.
I have both AR brass and speedloaders for it, but have never used either.
Given my druthers, all revolvers would utilize moon clips.

back to the point, they both headspace on the rim, with the case head flat against the breech face, and they should both fire with equal accuracy. The moon clips really aren't that hard, are they? You can pop the fired rounds out by using a dowel in a vise, hook the empty over the dowel and pull away. don't they press in pretty easily if you put them on a flat surface? No, it's not as easy as dropping them into the cylinder, but once you load 100 into clips, well, the hard part is over, and you don't single load them at the range.

Or you can go the even easier route and buy RIMZ clips from Beckham industries.

They're polymer. Easy to load, easy to unload, and do a very good job of holding the rounds.

Rinmundo sent me pictures of his gun yesterday. I'm going to upload them to my picture hosting service and post them for him, but I've not had a chance to do so.

Let's just say that Raimundo has a VERY nice 1917...

I have a 1917 Smith, and a Brazilian to be exact. I use the full moon clips with it. I have some half moon, but they are more of a PITA than anything, especially when trying to unload them. They tend to be flimsy and want to bend when you try and get the cases out.

I got a bunch of full moon clips and an "unloader" off Amazon when I first got the gun. The unloader is a simple piece of metal tubing, with a 180* cut on one end. You slip the tube over the case and give it a twist, and the case falls into the tube. It will hold all 6 cases, so it makes quick work of unloading the clip.

Looks like this.....

7-shot-moon-clip.png

I learned about this loader when I got into 9mm revolvers (my converted 642-1, to be exact).

http://www.bmtequipped.com/purchase.php

Same loader/clips for the 625 (N46-6) works for the M1917. It should work with half-moonclips, but really not 100% on it. It is a little costly, but I’ve yet to find a better loader out there.

A S&W M1917, or one of its variations, is on my short list (if I don’t see one at the next PA gunshows, I’ll wait until I move and transfer my C&R to Maine; NJ doesn’t allow me to receive firearms via mail [emoji849]). I like Colt, but the S&W allowing for ACP to be loaded/headspaced without the clip is something I always liked (something I’d rarely ever use).

Hi Mike thanks for the uploading. Boy I´m happy, today I found 80 45 auto rim loaded rounds stashed here. I guess it will suffice to try the brazilian when I have it in my hands.
Regards, Raimundo

Last edited:
Back