S & W Model 17-5 or Model 18?

Thanks, Pete. I have a lot to learn about old Smiths. The K-22 I had in 22 MRF was marked Mod 48. Old pinned bbl job.

I purchased an S&W M18 12 years ago for $200 in near perfect, NRA excellent condition. It has the TT, TH, 4" pinned bbl.

This is the second M18 that I have owned. The first being back in 1971.

The frame appears to be originally stamped 17-3 but the "7" is overstamped with an "8". It appears to me that S&W used a M17 frame to make up this M18. ???

The serial # is 5K43XXX if anyone has a listing of the model/serial number range.

I contacted S&W a couple of years back to inquire but they could/would not asssit me w/the overstamped number.

This is one of the best shooting DA .22 RF revolvers that I have ever owned as was the first one back in '71. If anyone has the chance to pick up a M18, I would recommend that they do.

I saw a mod. 18 NIB at a local gunshop. The owner had just bought it and it was sitting in the counter in the box. I got excited hoping I had a chance to buy it, but was told it's not for sale. I need to find some new gun shops that will sell older high-value guns rather than keep them all for themselves, and only offer for sale new vintage guns. He also has a 5-screw K-22 (pre-model 17) that he took in off a widow for a very cheap price, and that's not for sale either. Like I said earlier, I have an M17-5 and the difference between that and the M18 combat masterpiece is the 17-5 has a heavier barrel, and the hammer is broader on the 18. I think the wider hammers and triggers are referred to as target; is this correct? Ron

Yep that's the "Target" configuration.Best thing to do is to get the trigger modified to "Combat".Much easier to shoot with IMHO.

Back