S&W Model 15, 4" barrel, blued

Getting it fixed

My Experience: What kind of new revolver could you get for 400.00. Smith can do some basic repairs if the gun has a model number. Also, if a gunsmith had to do with it ,Smith will not work on the gun. Back in the day I had several guns modified for Patridge front sight. The factory is unwilling or unable to mill a slot for that sight blade today. Things are different these days.:eek: There is nobody local that can do any real work on these revolvers.

Last edited:
I have the pre-model 10, Model 10, Model 13, Model 15 and a couple of Model 19's and Model 65's. I love revolvers as I get older. My son and those his age carry auto's but as I get older the more I revert to revolvers. Currently carrying a Ruger 100 3 inch stainless in my truck and feel well armed.

Nice pickup!

Howdy Again

Did somebody say K-22 Combat Masterpiece (pre-Model 18)? Quick, can anybody tell it apart from my K-38 Masterpiece (pre-Model 15)? Other than the caliber marked on the barrel, the different hammers, and the pin up near the rear sight on the 22 holding the frame mounted firing pin in place? Both left the factory in 1953.

k22%20combat%20masterpiece%2002_zpspn9uhwgq.jpg

K-38%20Combat%20Masterpiece%2002_zpsjjvbi9gx.jpg

Geezer? Absolutely. I've loved revolvers for over 40 years.

Last edited:
The Combat Masterpiece was one of my Grail Guns ever since I read about it in W.H.B Smith's Small Arms of the World over 50 years ago. I have one, made in 1953.

I feel like it is one of those types of guns that everyone should own, at least one!

Including a derringer, a single action revolver, a 1911, a ...... Hold on a second! I'm liable to make this a three page post!

Great revolver and a great price - congrats.

I had a CombatMasterpiece and it was a great shooter. I recently gave it to a younger fellow that is like a sone to me so he could have a good revolver to shoot - he shoots semi autos. He had seen my revolvers and showed an interest in them and i figured it was better to give it to him now so he could enjoy it rather than when i take the big dirt nap. I still have my oder M & P 5" barrel which I always grab first as well as server J frames. I even gave him some recording stuff and some boxes of cartridges to get him started.

You'll love that wheelman and it will serve you well!

Whenever I look at my model 15 I think of it as a smaller lighter model 27, which is the most aesthetically beautiful gun ever made. But since I can't afford a model 27, I'll have to be satisfied with my model 15 and my model 57. Just plain beautiful guns.

Just because I want to show it off. I just picked up my 1954 K-22 (22 LR) "Combat Masterpiece." The perfect companion to my Model 15 I pictured earlier.

enhance

zoo

I feel like it is one of those types of guns that everyone should own, at least one!

Nope, nope, nope... you buy one of these then it's a Model 67, then it's a snubby, then a nickel one... no such thing as one...

I have the same gun.

I bought it from my godfather - my uncle.

At my mother's funeral.

I guess it's genetic.

:)

Great gun btw - very accurate. Shoots 158 RN cast bullets all day (I cast) without leading.

One of my favorites.

I carried one, issued by the USAF during the first part of my first tour in Vietnam...wasn't fond of the gun due to its capacity and small "Magna" grips so it got stored with the squadron armory for the duration. I there after toted a Browning Hi Power or a 1911A1 for the remainder of my time.

Sounds like you got one hellofa deal, however. And a K frame Smith is one of the world's finest handgun designs. With the good stocks now available, it fits the average to large hand supremely well and too, the .38 Spl with good loads now available, is no slouch no matter what the 9mm crowd may say. 158 grains of LSWC @ 950 fps, HP'd if you can find the old FBI load, is still considered a very wise street load.

Congrats on your find...and treat yourself to a good OWB holster for it.

YMMv, Rod That's the gun on my hip, preflighting my bird 49 years ago.

Yep it was fun to fly too, but it lacked armor plating and self sealing fuel tanks...(I sat on two flak vests and draped another over the back of the seat), but it got me back in one piece. It was ok in-country against .30 cal. fire, but agains't ZPU's up on the trail, .51 cal., its altitude capability was lacking...hence the OV-10 in use there.

I liked the M15 issued, but the grips made it not quite unusable for accuracy...but close to it. Didn't know about 'grip-adapters' back then or I'd have ordered one. The 1911 and especially the BHP that I acquired were first rate combat side arms. And neither was out of arms reach for that first year in-country.

YMMv, and welcome home, fellow vets. Rod

Last edited:
Rodfac, here on December 24, 2019 my response to you as it relates to how much respect I have for what you did to be inadequate. You guys haulin covey in those environments back in the bush make you all friggen heroes in my book.

And yes I think I can safely assume you fought in the so called "secret war" and assisted at great risk to yourself in the recovery of our grunts and SF in the bush.

In retrospect though, wouldn't the masterpiece have been the most reliable?!!! Ha ha, really!

Yeah, I know. Only six bullets! That is why you learn to reload the mf mighty fast!

Last edited:
Thanks for your very kind words, Zoo. It sounds to me, like you'd have fit in well with us, sir.

In all probability, the M15 Smith might well have been as reliable,(as I kept my personal weapons in pristine condition)...but the M15 also used and was limited by issue USAF 130 gr FMJ ammunition at a leisurely 800 fps or so...not much punch there. The .45 and 9mm stuff was well proven and readily available too. And there's always the capacity argument. The M15 did have one advantage, however, and that was as a signaling device with those .38 flare rounds. For search and rescue, they could be fired up through the canopy of trees, pinpointing your location for the helicopter pick up! Far better than tracer which could draw friendly fire.

While I can't speak for the O-2 guys or the OV-10 drivers, those of us in the Birddogs flew with the carbine (CAR15), slung through the door release handle along with two bandoleers of M16 magazines...this was our primary, weapon, in camp and if shot down. FAC's generally did not survive capture, especially down in he lower parts of Vietnam...they were shot out of hand because of the mission and our participation in airstrikes, gunship operations, and artillery fire...they really didn't like us all that much! For the most part we lived in forward operating positions, a Lt. grade pilot or two, an MX sergent and a radio operator, in Special Forces Camps especially, where going armed 24/7 was a matter of course.

In reality, the pistol was only for last ditch use if you had no other recourse if caught w/o rifle and out of position...slit trenches, shower points, 4-holer latrines etc...but as a matter of fact, those are the only places I wasn't carrying a CAR15 or an AK. FAC units did not disarm pilots when we flew into major bases for maintenance on our birds. We shacked up for the days required at friendly fighter squadron barracks or with a desk bound buddy and kept our weapons with us.

Nowadays, as an old man and in a civilian farm town environment where laying down a base of fire and participating in flanking maneuvers are less likely, a good revolver is plenty reliable. I'm not retired LE nor ever have been, so my reaction to attack or potential attack is to retreat where possible, and my duty is only to my immediate family...those that depend on my continued support are all that count in my world. Given that, I find a revolver often is more than enough...I find my wife's 637 Smith or my own M60 ample for our daily lives.

I've wandered from your thread, and do apologize; the M15 is a truly a fine piece, well made, and only over shadowed by the greater capabilities of the Magnum 66 and 19. Best Regards, Rod

Thanks for your very kind words, Zoo. It sounds to me, like you'd have fit in well with us, sir.

In some ways I did my brother. In other ways, maybe not so much. ;)

I've wandered from your thread, and do apologize; the M15 is a truly a fine piece, well made, and only over shadowed by the greater capabilities of the Magnum 66 and 19. Best Regards, Rod

Not a problem, Rod. You sir can deviate from any of my threads as you see appropriate.

So, now that I have been cranking off rounds galore with this revolver...

Yes, I love it as I already knew I would.

But!

I've found that the ejector rod tends to walk out. I've never had that problem with a revolver. Isn't that like a major issue and one of which as described in the classic Armorer's Guidebooks as among the "51 Problems with Revolvers"?

Back