S&W Model 15, 4" barrel, blued

zoo

Call me a geezer but today I came across an S&W model 15 at a local gun shop. It was in great condition for 300 bucks and I'm totally stoked!

It isn't mint but it is certainly in great condition.

Totally unmodified with original grips too!

It is as if it was pulled straight from a rookie cop's holster back in '70 and stored to be sold in 2019!

If you're a 60 plus firearms aficionado and can resist a deal like that, you're a stronger person than me!

That was a steal! :)

Decent older Smiths around here are showing up less and less, and are usually in the $500-750+ range.

Old beat up police trade-ins are often in the $400-450 range.

Nice old guns at a good to great price are a "just do it" proposition. No thought involved. At least till you get home and have to explain it to the old lady. :D

I'd have been on that like a Hobo on a ham sandwich. The Model 15 is my favorite Smith and Wesson...(Ask me about Model 19's and I'll tell you the Model 19 is.).

Because every thread needs pictures. Here's my -2 from 1966. TH, TT, and target stocks.

100_0730_zpsms8ovsku.jpg

I have had an infatuation with the Combat Masterpiece for many years, at one time I had three of them, but I sold off a couple and only retain the one made in 1954.

IMG_3011_Fotor-XL.jpg

My pawn shop find was maybe twenty years ago. I bought a a 1953 vintage five screw Combat Master Piece for $135.00 dollars. The gun was sound with really nice original grips. Not a high condition specimen but a good gun.

These are really great revolvers. I had lent the gun out and it came back goofed up. I had it brought back to specs. Getting the gun back became a major problem with one disaster after another happening to the gunsmiths. It was a hot topic in one forum until the moderators shut it down.

I need to get a letter on the gun and three other Smiths. I think this was among the Combat Masterpieces' that were traded in for 9mm's in the day. Local guns store would get three or four those in at a time.

Howdy

You can call me a geezer too.

This K-38 Combat Masterpiece, the precursor to the Model 15, left the factory in 1953. One of my favorite Smiths. Unfortunately I paid considerably more than $300 for it. I'm thinking you got a great deal.

K-38%20Combat%20Masterpiece%2002_zpsjjvbi9gx.jpg

I should have added earlier this morning, but Smith and Wesson also made a "22 Combat Masterpiece," which is nothing more than a 22 Long Rifle version of the Model 15.

I don't have one right now, but I used to have a 1954 22 Combat Masterpiece that I traded off to a buddy for something else. This weekend we're going to meet up again, and going to make another trade, and the 22 CM is coming home with me to stay.

"...if it was pulled straight from a rookie cop's holster..." It'd likely be rusted shut. Cops aren't well known for looking after their issue kit. Especially their firearm.
$300 for anything is a decent price these days. Everybody seems to think that 'old' is automatically worth more.
I am a geezer and proud of it. Hard work living this long. snicker.

I bought and traded a five screw 22 Combat Master Piece, Revolver was used but still in the box with the old style screw driver. This gun was extremely accurate. That revolver came from a pawn shop. It was traded it to a friend who gathers S&W's. Point being is to keep an eye on pawn shops. Friend's last find from an estate sale was a high condition King Modified 1917 S&W. That gun is "over the top." King did custom work and had a line of sights and the like. This friend passed along 38/44 Outdoorsman to me. That don't make'um like that anymore!

Call me a geezer but today I came across an S&W model 15 at a local gun shop. It was in great condition for 300 bucks and I'm totally stoked!

It isn't mint but it is certainly in great condition.

That is an incredible find at that price! Less and less appreciation these days for fine revolvers like your Model 15. I remember some 30 years ago shooting in an indoor bullseye league and there were several shooters with Model 15s.

The Model 15 has always been a great choice for the handgun marksman - something of a lost art in these times. Hey , call me a geezer too!

Call me a geezer but today I came across an S&W model 15 at a local gun shop.

If that makes me a geezer, so be it. Prices on K-Frames have gone through the roof the last few years, and I thought I lucked out paying $400 for one without the original grips three years back.

I believe it's the finest service handgun ever made, and anyone who disagrees can kiss my grits.

I still feel giggly like a school girl on her first date.

Pinned barrel and all, very clean, including even pristine original grips. Per the serial number, it left the factory sometime in 1974.

It is in better condition than the 586 I obtained back in the early eighties although in all fairness the bad guys made sure my 586 got a good workout including some ground scrapes diving for cover.

Sorta nice to finally get a good deal on a firearm purchase. The guys at the shop seemed overall savvy but nonetheless not very big on revolvers. I can't help but assume their perspective impacted there underestimation on the value on the Model 15.

They also had a pristine, very clean, darn near mint condition S&W Model 10 with a bull barrel for around 550.00 too. I'm just not that big on the 10 although it would certainly be nice to own too.

Actually, that model 10 might have been 450.00. I'm going to have to go back and take a look ;) although a purchase will most likely result in my untimely death at the hands of my SO.

Back