S&W Lock

I hate the cursed IL too...but the 4 Smith's that I own with it, operated perfectly, and are every bit as accurate as the the 12 that don't. Gotta admit, after a cpl months I no longer notice it. Rod

Last edited:
Aside from some high polish fit and finish, S&W is making the best revolvers today that they've ever made in terms of accuracy, reliability, and performance. It truly is the "Golden Age" of the Smith revolver, but some can't see past a modern safety feature that only serves to protect children etc. from danger, which I think is very sad.

I don't mind the use of the lock or any of the other things that S&W did to protect their assets at the expense of the end user near as much as I hate that they cave into proposed legislation prior to it being passed while other manufacturers are fighting it. If micro-stamping is seriously brought up in the future I fully expect that S&W will have guns with micro-stamped firing pins in the stores before the legislation hits the floor of the senate.

I would rather do business with manufactures that stand up for their rights and mine.

Gotta admit, after a cpl months I no longer notice it.Rod

Yeah, same here. The only time I think about it is when someone brings it up on the internet. I even prefer the frame mounted firing pin and MIM hammer. Lock time is faster than with my older Smiths.

I hope Colt expands its new revolver line and eats the current company posing as s&w's lunch.

Watch how fast that idiot lock disappears then. Competition IS a good thing. ;)

Aside from some high polish fit and finish, S&W is making the best revolvers today that they've ever made in terms of accuracy, reliability, and performance. It truly is the "Golden Age" of the Smith revolver, but some can't see past a modern safety feature that only serves to protect children etc. from danger, which I think is very sad.

How does that lock do more for the children than the previously mandated gun locks that you can get a bag full of for free from ANY gun store? Just asking?

....or was it the turn to using lower as molded MIM parts over machined forged or cast blanks?:rolleyes:

They no longer pin or recess either....quality up or cost reduction?

I've got a couple of Smiths with the lock myself these days.

I worry about as much about it almost as I do flying saucers.

I don't even think it's any uglier than any other screw or pin in the side of the gun. As a matter of fact, some older Smith & Wesson's had a pin in almost that exact spot.

most complaints about slipshod S&W QA/QC seem to focus on the time when they were owned by Bangor Punta

I have heard this for many years now.

I can't speak for everything made in the Bangor Punta years, but I have three or four, maybe more I don't recall exactly, Smiths made in the Bangor Punta years. The quality of every one of them is excellent. I have been inside most of them, the quality of the fit and finish is excellent. These are some of the first S&W revolvers produced on relatively modern CNC equipment, and the quality of the machining is excellent.

I recently was in the .357 revolver market and had once owned a few S&W revolvers from the early 80's. In a moment of stupidity I sold them all except for a Model 19-3. When I saw what S&W had done with MIM parts and the LOCK on their new revolvers I subsequently and hesitantly bought a Ruger GP100. I know it has MIM but not the stupid lock.

I will not ever buy another NEW Smith and Wesson.

Oh, and I had good luck with Bangor Punta guns (model 19's, 586's, 686's)

I saw a very nice looking Talo S&W 4" 357 at a gunshop not long back, had a nice wood grip, classic look, mim parts, but all modern guns have mim parts, but of course it had the lock, which is really unsightly and just offputting. However, it had a nice action, and smooth lockup, it was about everything I liked in a revolver, but it was priced at around 750 bucks with tax and I just couldn't justify spending that kind of immense money on a revolver with a keylock. I've always been a Smith guy too, and I'd recommend the more affordable 642 or 442 which are also good sizes and no lock I believe. But for me I couldn't spend 700 bucks on a new gun with an internal lock.

I hope Colt expands its new revolver line and eats the current company posing as s&w's lunch.
I was a die hard S&W revolver person for years, but haven't been happy with their more recent offerings. Especially those with the lock. I am waiting to see one of the new Cobra's, and if they can keep up quality, I hope Colt expand as well. The Kimber K6 interests me too, but I'm going to wait for some better feedback before picking one up.

Colt couldn't eat Smith's lunch if it were delivered to Hartford bt limo. Colt can't even name the gun right. Cobra? They stopped making lightweight frames years ago.
The "new" Cobra looks like an expensive Charter Arms. :D

VBA said:

I recently was in the .357 revolver market and had once owned a few S&W revolvers from the early 80's. In a moment of stupidity I sold them all except for a Model 19-3. When I saw what S&W had done with MIM parts and the LOCK on their new revolvers I subsequently and hesitantly bought a Ruger GP100. I know it has MIM but not the stupid lock.

I will not ever buy another NEW Smith and Wesson.

Oh, and I had good luck with Bangor Punta guns (model 19's, 586's, 686's)

I just finished stoning and polishing internals on six of my Smiths. The "old" pre locks had atrocious machine marks on some surfaces (especially rebound slide). The MIM guns (including a new R8) had butter smooth parts that needed little stoning. Yes you can stone MIM and it slicks up good!
By the way, I took the lock flags out of my guns. It's easy.

Back