S&W Internal Lock Redux

I can think of no situation where carrying a locked gun that requires a key to unlock is a good idea.

"

So unless the OP is precognitive, or just superhumanly observant, I suggest he rethink carrying a locked weapon.

While I too suggest the OP rethink his carry options, I also suggest he carry the way he is comfortable with. Not everyone has the same level of confidence with firearms, nor the same skill levels. Not everyone with a 1911 is comfortable carrying in condition 0, or even condition 1, and most would suggest rethinking carrying in condition 4. Still, what works for us might be the deciding factor for someone else not to carry at all. Under many conditions, the sight of a gun pulled to an unarmed assailant, will make them flee. If one hears a bump in the night, they may well have time to unlock their bedstand gun. Either way, still better than nuttin'. I suggest to the OP to go to the range, take training or just shoot his gun more so he becomes familiar with it, comfortable with it and confident in his operation of it. Then he will know how HE should carry it.

As for the MIM thing....folks need to get over it. It's a proven and highly regarded process in the manufacture of most major brands of firearms. It's used in countless other applications in our everyday life that we trust our lives on. To base one's decision on whether or not to buy a firearm from a trusted manufacturer who uses the process shows one's just how naive they are. Probably shouldn't be carrying in condition one either.......just sayin'.

The original post is suspect in that his post count is 1 leading me to suspect a possible antigun troll. Secondly, he suggests that a non-lethal action of pointing a gun at an attacker which is still locked because the attacker will not know may result in a Michigan Concealed licensee to be charged with "brandishing a firearm". Aside from those two things, there is a host of suggestions in that post that I am sure anyone who is knowledgeable about firearms and legal concealed carry will most certainly find ridiculous...way more than I car to respond to.

Unfortunately, I suspect you are correct. The scenario about some unexpected medical event causing one to pass out without warning and thus allowing a bad guy to access the gun is typical of the Chicken Little hysteria that gun control advocates indulge in. The problem with any such scenario is it counts on a huge coincidence occurring: the medical event and being in the presence of bad guys, simultaneously. That invokes long odds. The chances of needing to use the weapon promptly in self-defense are much greater, so it's not a balanced objection. I'm also guessing the OP had no clue it took anything like 36 seconds of fiddling to use a locked gun. Police crime data says a rape can be completed in as little as 30 seconds, so that 36 second delay is a non-starter for self-defense.

Further, the OP dismisses the need for prompt gun access because he doesn't believe you can be trained to draw and shoot faster than someone with the drop on you can shoot. But even if you are not able to do that (and a good number of people can, as you know if you've watched security videos of store clerks succeeding in doing just that), if a bad guy tries to direct you to a back room or you get another cue that he's going to kill you anyway, you don't want a lock eliminating all your chances. And there are other factors, like the bad guy, seeing you start to draw a weapon has a good chance of jerking his shot into a miss. There are also intermediate speed situations where you see an armed person or an otherwise-suspicious person approaching and want to at least put your hand on the gun, but don't have 36 seconds for that, either.

Most gun control advocates I've met are pretty ignorant regarding gun handling and firearms technology.

No, I will not be carrying a locked gun. One thing 3 decades in LE has taught me, when I need a gun I need it NOW.

OP if you are not comfortable with a loaded gun, do not carry one. I have never been suddenly made unconscious, sounds like too much fantasy.

To the OP There is NO point in carrying a disabled firearm. Please take a basic pistol, and a basic protection course before you consider possessing a firearm for personal protection or home defense.

Back