S&W "EZ" pistols - likes??

Well, thank you for all the responses. Appreciate BOTH positive and negative comments.
Looks like you all are gonna make me "need" to add the 9EZ to my pistols. I DO reload, and have a number of 9's, so already have adequate supplies for that.

On the .380 side, I was very short of bullets for practice, so put an order in to Everglades for jacketed heads. I screwed up the order and accidently ordered 500 380 Auto 95gr RN plated Bullets. I've NEVER used plated heads for any of my loading, only jacketed.

They'll accept a return, but won't allow a swap to jacketed, (same price so I don't understand) and must wait till refunded to my card. Then reorder.

Shipping back is on my dime, PLUS a charge to recover their original shipping. (in spite of the fact that ALL orders have FREE SHIPPING on their site.

Well, $70 for the order, minus $11 return shipping and minus their recouping their original cost (about $10), means my cost is about $90 to reorder the jacketed version.

So I'm gonna now work up a plated load and se how it goes.

Oh, well. Another life lesson.

RETFED

One thing to be aware of is that the light recoil spring that makes the slide easy to rack can cause issues of its own.

Calling it the "recoil spring" is something of a misnomer, as its main function is not to absorb recoil, but rather to use the stored energy from recoil to feed the next round into the chamber and return the slide to battery. Calling it a "slide closing" or "action return" spring would be more technically correct, but clumsier, and so "recoil spring" is probably here to stay.

At any rate, the very light recoil springs in these guns only have a small amount of force to impart to the forward motion of the slide, and if the shooter has a grip that allows the muzzle to flip upward too much in recoil, the spring might not have the oomph to fully close the slide, leading to a failure to feed or a partially-out-of-battery "dead trigger" malf.

My experience with my two 380’s and one 9mm has failed to produce any of the recoil spring failures suggested by Tamara. All three of my guns have been shot extensively by myself and a large contingent of persons who wanted to check out the new EZ and the only negative comments have come from a couple who did not grip the pistol properly and had a fight with the safety. My pistols shoot reasonably tight groups but are slightly low and left. My “hog kit” contains the 9mm, when we go out each morning to check hog traps ( this is Texas) the pistol has been put into use on dozens of occasions, usually with a single shot to the brain.

A light recoil spring would seem to reduce rather than increase any adverse effect of limp-wristing. With a light spring, the bulk of recoil force is imparted on the slide until the end of the slide's rearward travel. With a heavier spring, more recoil force is imparted earlier on the frame, causing more muzzle flip.

A light recoil spring would seem to reduce rather than increase any adverse effect of limp-wristing. With a light spring, the bulk of recoil force is imparted on the slide until the end of the slide's rearward travel. With a heavier spring, more recoil force is imparted earlier on the frame, causing more muzzle flip.
I would think the opposite, a heavy recoil spring spreads the recoil force over a longer distance of the slides action and time frame, whereas a lighter spring leaves more force to be absorbed at the end of the slides action making for a more abrupt flip when the slide impacts the frame. As far as the limp wrist affect I would think the the heavier spring would have more of an affect earlier in the recoil cycle as well like you say, since with the lighter spring by the time the muzzle is flipping up it’s already completed the ejection part of the cycle.

I can’t speak to the technical aspects, but I have an EZ and a PX4. Limp writing was more of a problem with the PX4, which has a significantly heavier spring. Hard to base a theory on just two pistols though. And heavier reloads in the PX4 fixed the problem.

Back