S&W equivalent to SP101 357?

Rogervzv

What is the S&W equivalent of this beauty? Can someone tell me about it?

49666128766_b3d85d2835_z.jpg

Last edited:
Probably the closest would be the stainless version of the model 13. These could be had with a 3" barrel and round butt grips. I think the stainless version was the model 65 maybe? Not sure.

There would be other options for .38 special revolvers, but you specified .357 mag, so that narrows it somewhat.

I'd agree with Brian Williams. I was shooting with a friend who has a 3" Model 60 with adjustable sights. A nice little revolver, and I liked the adjustable sights. But I still wouldn't be interested in trading my SP101 for it.

Well, I sure wasn't interested in igniting a S&W versus Ruger thread -- I am basically a S&W guy but I like Rugers too. FYI I installed the Wolff Spring Kit in the SP101 and she has a sweet trigger, if anyone cares.

It's not a "vs" thread. If it isn't known to the OP, SP101s are pretty established as having bad triggers.

Nothing bashing. I couldn't care less :)

I'm basically a S&W guy, but have owned a bunch of Rugers too. Both good guns, each with their own positive and negative aspects. Attached an image of some S&Ws and a "clunky" one;)

Guilty, my little Ruger revolver does have a very smooth, but heavier than S&W trigger.

Attachments

• 5-shooters (1) - Copy.JPG
    5-shooters (1) - Copy.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 115
equivalent? no such beast. you either get built like a tank of the Ruger or the finesse of the S&W. of course, I guess you could spend extra money to try to get the Ruger to be as smooooooth as the S&W, but you'll never get the S&W to be as solid as the Ruger.

Pretty close to Colt King Cobra (6 shot same weight.)

Funny that. I just picked up a King Cobra and said exactly the same thing. The King is nicer looking SP101 with a much, much better trigger but with a higher price tag.

I found a picture of my 60-4,
attachment.php

Yes, the 60-4 had a 940 cylinder installed at this point. it probably was shooting at 20yds.
attachment.php

Attachments

• PICT6966.jpg
    PICT6966.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 1,261
  • PICT6546.jpg
    PICT6546.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 1,243
The S&W model 65 3” is about as nice a concealed revolver as you can acquire, compact, accurate and totally reliable.

As other have said the 60 is close in size but not all guns are created alike , Ruger uses investment casting vs S&W Forged castings .
Investment casting is stronger but has never really been a problem as long as your using the recommend ammo for your specific gun .
S&W lost a lot of buyers when they added the lock mechanism , Ruger always stayed with a Traditional look and picked up the S&W guys that were turned off by adding a stupid lock to there revolver , they lost a lot of money and should have offered 2 models one lock and one no lock and after a year see which one out sold .
That SP101 is very nice I have 4 of them , the rarest a SP101 in 2 1/4 barrel in .22 its same frame as the .357 but more weight .
I’m a Revolver junkie and have more wheel guns than I can count .
Rugers are nice , S&W are Purdy and Colts are plain gorgeous.

Then there is this...the Kimber K6S.
Barely larger than a j-frame and holds 6 rd. Probably close to the Colt mentioned. I have this model and the new 4” Target model is on its way as I type this.
Absolutely blows away both the S&W (I have 16 S&W wheel guns) and the Rugers (have four of them) in build quality and smoothness of action.
Don’t have any Colt revolvers to compare, so I am not.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...2ahUKEwifqLSTlLjoAhUFOa0KHePiCJIQMygFegQIARAe

Back