S&W Classic Revolvers

Good inputs guys. I especially like the discussion of old vs. new. For my purpose it won't matter if I go new or old. I will likely look for old but buy whatever is available.

Any informed comments on barrel length?

I'm with tallball. I shy away from new revolvers. Not because I think they are junk, I want an old school wheel gun without PC safety warnings and cleaner looks. Plus, they'll be worth more sooner if I can find a nice one.

Any informed comments on barrel length?

Depends upon your level of expertise and your intended purpose. If you're new to handguns or just want a revolver for target shooting, go with a 6 inch. If you're familiar with handguns and want something for concealed carry, go with a 2 or 2.5 inch barrel. That leaves the 4 inch barrel which makes for a fine night stand gun.

Don

When I started buying handguns in the early 60s I had to have the longest
barrels availible. Later on I found I could shoot 5"-61/2" guns just as well. I
still have a set of 83/8 S&Ws, P&Rs, but would rather pick up the shorter ones.
I don't like 4" or shorter in N frames. It's opposite of long barrel syndrome. If
you are going to carry a gun that heavy the 2" more of barrel isn't noticeable
and is much easier to shoot.

As for new S&Ws being good or better than older models, I would say that is
like comparing a Win m12 to a Win 1200. They both shoot!

Favorite

My S&W model 14 (1953) target Masterpiece 38Spcl.

Happened to shoot it at the range last week and, as usual, deadly accurate and consistent, tight groups.

As the gun control political climate has been changing, I moved from NY to NJ and now very happy in PA, where America begins.

Enjoy Texas!

As for barrel length I prefer a 4-5 inch barrel, its hard to beat a good 4" revolver as far as all around balance and performance. The barrel length is usually a personal preference and can depend of your task. Hunters/target shooters usually prefer a longer barrel while a person looking for a concealed weapon usually likes a shorter barrel.

As for new VS old, I prefer the older revolvers as long as they are in good serviceable condition.

The new Classic Line , in my opinion are some of the nicest currently produced revolvers.I wish they would have picked a different name. The "classic"always starts the old verses new debate.

I respect those that only want vintage Smiths. The older ones are getting harder to find as collectors gobble them up. Sort of like muscle cars of my youth. Not bashing collectors. I would probably do the same if finances permitted. The prices and availability will continue to reflect this.

If you want a new Smith by all means go for it. Don't let other peoples opinions sway you. Decide for your self.

I like them and if you don't already know how, might I suggest you master the DA trigger on them? Go slow and keep the target close. As your groups tighten, then increase the distance. Keep this up until you can hit the target at 25 yards. Then throw in speedloaders. DA shooting with revolvers and speedloaders is a blast. I still love doing it.

I owned one revolver in the past. A Ruger GP 100 with a 4" barrel. My opinion - Barrel was too long to comfortably carry concealed and too short to provide a good sight radius for precision shooting. The counter guy told me it was the best compromise for all-purpose use. That was the last time I ever listened to the guy behind the counter. Sold the gun and was never sorry I did. Now it's time to get some purpose specific guns.

Flash,
The only advice I've given in this thread was if you want a new Smith, go for it.
You want more, what specifically would that be?
You want me to make your decision for you?

And I won't apologize for agreeing with your counter guy, since I DO happen to agree with him.
What exactly did you want from this thread?
I even congratulated you on your move.

You want full info on Smith's two-piece barrel?
Google it.
You can find photos & the whole deal.
Denis

My comment, which I fear flash will not find helpful, is that the current "Classic" line of S&Ws aren't Classic at all. And the idea that they are the best revolvers S&W has ever made is laughable.

Dave

Back