S&W Chiefs Special Airweight $213

geologist

I just bought this Chiefs Special Airweight (revolver on the left in both photos) for $213 US (I'm in Canada). It comes with the original box, the S&W papers and the tools. The cylinder and barrel are steel, the frame is aluminum.

There is no model number on the frame under the yoke. It weighs only 12-13 ounces.

The serial number is 680XX.

I think it is a find, a pre M37, 3 screw roundbutt CS, I think it is a 1955.

I plan to shoot only wadcutters or .38 Special LRN through the old girl.

Yr3iLozl.jpg

5hGwBV1l.jpg

Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson says you right about the date.
I shot my Airweight with standard velocity 38 special and had no problems.
One of the easiest revolvers to carry due to the weight.
Very nice old Smith.

Open the cylinder and look very carefully at the thinnest part of the frame, where the barrel is screwed in. Many of these guns have cracked frames in this spot.

Open the cylinder and look very carefully at the thinnest part of the frame, where the barrel is screwed in. Many of these guns have cracked frames in this spot.

I used to have a M37 air weight, I deemed that area was the weak link of the J frame. I really did not feel comfortable with the gun and I sold it long time ago. I still have the M36 which is steel frame, I think steel makes a lot of difference.

I am looking at the new S&W 357Mag J frame with scandium alloy frame, do you have any idea whether the area where the barrel screwed in is any thicker than the old J frame air weight. Of cause I am NOT going to shoot 357Magnum, just 38spc +P at worst. Most likely just regular 38spc.

I am considering a light weight snubby, Ruger LCR 38spc +P and the S&W scandium alloy would be my choice. I studied the Ruger LCR very carefully how the barrel screw onto the frame. It is a completely different design where the barrel screw onto the frame at the front( it's only an inner lining, the outer barrel is actual part of the frame), not putting stress at the thinness part like the S&W J frame. That literally eliminates the weak point of the old S&W design.

I want to hear your opinions on the LCR and the new S&W scandium alloy frame.

Thanks

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the crack Bill mentioned.

Attachments

• frame 37.jpg
    frame 37.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 828
Last edited:
Here's a pic of the crack Bill mentioned.

Thanks for the picture. That's exactly what I afraid of. That part is very thin and is taking the full blunt of the force. That's the main reason I sold the Model 37 air weight. I only had like 200 to 300 rounds or less through it.

I wonder does that happen to the steel J-frame. It's still very thin, just it's steel and it's not that brittle like aluminum alloy.

Thanks for the picture. That's exactly what I afraid of. That part is very thin and is taking the full blunt of the force. That's the main reason I sold the Model 37 air weight. I only had like 200 to 300 rounds or less through it.

I wonder does that happen to the steel J-frame. It's still very thin, just it's steel and it's not that brittle like aluminum alloy.
The term "brittle" has a specific meaning. Aluminum alloy frames are not "brittle", they do however seemingly lack sufficient tinsel strength and/or toughness to keep from cracking in that application.

"lack sufficient tinsel strength"

You mean they don't go well on Christmas trees? :D

I have two J frame Airweights, a Centennial and a Humpback. I don't shoot them a lot (I carry the Centennial).

How hard would it be for S&W to simply mill out a smaller hole for the ejector rod to fit into? The strength of that part of the frame below the forcing cone would go up.

How hard would it be for S&W to simply mill out a smaller hole for the ejector rod to fit into? The strength of that part of the frame below the forcing cone would go up.

Then the ejector rod and the arm that hold the cylinder will be too thin!!! The cylinder has to withstand a lot of pressure. I am sure S&W must have thought about this also. It's no win, only way so far is like Ruger LCR, the outer barrel and the frame in one piece, the thread of the inner lining is at the front of the barrel, so the lower part of the barrel becomes part of the support. There is no weak spot on the Ruger LCR.

So far, I have not heard or read about crack on steel frame yet, only the air weight.

BTW, OP said his is a K-frame, I have M19 and M17 K frame, that part is not thin at all as the cylinder is a lot bigger. I don't think there should be problem even it's aluminum. The problem mainly is on the J-frame.

Ruger seems to be very conservative in their design, notice their guns are always bigger in average than others of the same caliber. LCP is about the only exception I know of. Only reason I am still talking but not buying is because I don't think the snubbies are the target of the liberals to ban, it's more important to buy the semi autos that they are targeting right now. Besides, it's not available in my area. People talk about ammo are scares, guns are not much better.

Last edited:
If you owned a sub 4.2" barrel handgun before they prohibited them you were grandfathered and allowed to keep them and shoot them at ranges.

It's a sleazy commie Kanadian way of confiscation without paying compensation.

As we age fewer and fewer will be able to legally own these short barrel handguns and eventually the government expects all of them to be handed in and melted down as we die.

The only reason for gun registration is CONFISCATION. Never believe otherwise.

It finally arrived. I think the frame near the barrel/yoke area looks good.

I pulled the stocks and they are serial number matched to the frame.

There are wear marks on the cylinder and the anodization is chipped on the frame below the cylinder on the left side.

gTeVKZGl.jpg

4Zr1EeQl.jpg

DURETfyl.jpg

9lnxUnyl.jpg

7teqqyil.jpg

T1W08Hbl.jpg

dK6p8drl.jpg

HBEiftfl.jpg

pWOaG5ql.jpg

Back