S&W 686 vs. Colt King Cobra?

The King Cobra is not the Python action/innards; it was a version Colt offered
to try and compete on price with Smith and Ruger and retain a bit of the Python's outer profile.

To me the real difference is the trigger pull, double action. I'll take a S&W every time over a Colt or Ruger either one. You can rework the Ruger or Colt and come up with a good trigger pull. That is if you know someone who can do it.

pete2,

I guess all the Ruger owners who've worked on GP 100s and SP 101s were too stupid to know they couldn't work on them but they did. And the results were
excellent.

Actually, the GP 100 triggers are pretty good out of the box, usually right
around 10 pounds to 11 pounds which is the same as a Smith and the
pull is smooth much like a Smith.

I like Smiths. I like Rugers.

And I like Pythons but just not as much because of the stacking of the
DA trigger and the fact that they can go out of time more easily in fast
DA shooting.

UncleEd said:
I guess all the Ruger owners who've worked on GP 100s and SP 101s were too stupid to know they couldn't work on them but they did. And the results were
excellent.

No one said anything about being "too stupid" until you assumed they did. Chill out. This is how threads get derailed.

IME, while Smiths tend to have a bit better factory trigger than Rugers, it's a rare factory trigger (of any brand) that can't be improved with some good tuning. Rugers, a bit rougher out of the box, generally respond very nicely to a good action job, but not everyone knows how to do that type of work themselves.

Back