S&W 642 38 special

You buy a 642 to carry. Not to shoot. I shoot mine once a year. When I qual. It's not a target gun. It's a "in your face" point and shoot defensive gun.

Just a note to thank all those who took the time to respond to the post. While the wife is still leary of the little snub, I am beginning to become quite fond of it. My always is a Colt Defender in a Milt Sparks VM2, but I may just capture the 642 for myself.

Reverend Dickie:)

As some have already touched on, the "lowly" .38 snub revolver is pretty hard to beat as a reasonable average of power, reliability, portability/concealability, ease of control and cost to practice with.

I like snub .357 even better, even though I'm the first to admit .38+P is usually about as hot as my gun sees.

Yes, practice will be required, and it's not an ideal gun to start off with, but I don't feel undergunned when I carry it on a road trip or something. On the other hand, I have found myself saying a little extra prayer when circumstances dictate that I go with just a Beretta 21A in .22 LR.

The little Beretta makes my snubs look like target competition guns in the accuracy department... but then again, it may very well be the shooter at fault, not the gun. :cool:

Good luck.

-tubeshooter

I like the 638 instead. I don't like doing roll checks on the trigger; like the hammer. However, I do not have the ninjaesque reflexes of don'tshootit'sme.

Back