S&W 638, 637, or 642?

After firing my wife's 642 a while back I decided I wanted a J frame also. Although I liked hers with a good trigger (thanks from the apex trigger kit) I looked at getting a 638. I liked the option of SA operation if needed or wanted.

What I ended up with is a 438 previosly owned. It is basically an all black 638 which has been discontinued by S&W. I am glad I got it. So far it seems to be a good CCW with a good albeit heavy trigger. It should be a great trigger after I install a Wilson Combat Tuned Spring kit (for J frames) next week.

I have the 642 and love it. I changed the springs to the 13 lb. rebound spring and put in an 8 lb. hammer spring...it makes a world of difference in the trigger pull, yet it is completely within the bounds of reliability.

My wife has a 637, carries it in her purse or on a belt holster (OWB) and has never had a problem or hang up while drawing. She's been to Front Sight's 4-Day Defensive Handgun Course twice so she is experienced. That said, when either of us practices with it, we have learned to guard the hammer during the draw so that it does not hang up. It's a training thing..and a must do if you plan to carry it.

We both shoot it exclusively DA so there's no real need to have the hammer for SA shooting...and either of us can hold the cranial area from the ten yard line with it...DA. Practice is the key...it's a defensive gun, made and designed for that role...for carry tho, I'd recommend the hammerless model just to keep it simple and to force one to practice DA shooting as is needed in any defensive encounter.

JMHO, Rod

FYI:
I own a 638 rated for .38spl+P and the Taurus copy in total titanium chambered in .357mag.

637 vs 638 vs 642

I obviously chose 638. I do pocket, ankle, and belt carry with my 638. I went with 638 because of the single action option. I like to do some longer-range shooting with the 638 and the SA option makes that more productive. Like out to 100 yards, Seyfried-style. Yeah, a bit of a stunt/lark, but fun and confidence-inspiring. Never had a problem de-cocking.

The downside to the 638 is the Thrice-Danged Lock (TDL). I removed mine and replaced it with a plug. While I was at it, I did a spring job and a very mild smoothing of hammer & sear contact points. Noticeable, but not revolutionary improvement trigger-wise.

If SA fire is not in the cards, the 642 can be had out of the box with no TDL and in various flavor of improvement from S&W's custom shop: trigger work, moonclips, etc.

637 was never really in the running for me.

Go w/ the 638 (or 438)!!

The 638 is the way to go. It seems like its being recommended by many on this post. The 637 has a handy, big hammer... that can get snagged. The 642 is sleek and has the best concealability... but SA is not available. I have the 438 that I had a my G-smith add an XS Big Dot sight, part # SW-0020N-3, and I now have a $400 gun + $100 in part/labor for less than what you'd pay for a AirLight Sc M&P340 with an XS (about $800). A 638 combines the best of the 37 and 42 (it's what everyone on the thread is saying), and I recommend my XS mod.

Attachments

• IMG_0665.JPG
    IMG_0665.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 52
Back