S&W 617 Revolver

I will never understand folks who argue against getting a great .22lr pistol or revolver.

Arguements of the anti .22lr camp.

1. You can reload and shoot centerfire for the same price.
2. .22lr is not a REAL gun so you are wasting your time.
3. You should not spend a lot of money on a good .22lr firearm because it's not a REAL caliber.

None of the arguments make any sense. I really enjoy shooting my .22lr revolvers and pistols. It's not about cheap or Real.. It's about fun to shoot. I love my .22lr. Firearms.

Last edited:
At this months Steel Challenge I had to shoot my 617 instead of my automatic since it was in the shop. I enjoyed every minute of it. It was the most fun I've had at a match this year and I actually had my best overall time. I love shooting revolvers and the 617 is no exception. Add one to your arsenal and enjoy!

My brother and I both have 617's. Probably our most shot revolvers. Both of ours are 6 shot to match our other centerfire revolvers. I carried a 610 for years as a reserve deputy sheriff. I did lot of training with the 617. I got mine before the 10 shots came out. We hunted down a 6 shot for my brother.

My local dealer just got a new one in stock. They are a little pricey these days.

Bob

I've had a 617 since the later 1990's..............with a 4" barrel/6 shot cylinder/ and a red dot mounted on it.
Would not want any other .22 handgun but it, be it revolver or auto.
It's cheap on ammo, accurate and a blast to shoot.............what else could you want??
:D

This one goes with me a lot for just plain fun shooting, & squirrel season.
Extremely accurate & super nice trigger. "No Lock !!!" What's not to like ??!

e5qwwl.jpg

6gkjh3.jpg

2jewcd4.jpg

sdeiav.jpg

I shot matches for some years with a 4" 686 and had a 10-shot 4" 617 as an understudy. I did a lot of dry fire with my 686 for gun handling skills and marksmanship (the front sight tells you everything you need to know), but still used the 617 quite a bit at the range.

Like someone else here remarked, I reload, but I consider it a necessary chore, so I use that ammo to practice stuff that I have to practice with my 686 (i.e. reloading drills, El Prez, running actual stages, etc). When it comes to practicing my basic marksmanship at the range, though (which was a part of every practice session), a .22LR is tough to beat, and my 617 saw a lot of action.

That's a nice one to have. No lock, steel cylinder and a ten shot.

(the early ten shots had aluminum cylinders)

I was in contact with S&W immediately after the introduction of the 10 shot 617 at the Shot Show, & kept bugging them about the introduction day !
I had to do some traveling to get this one, on a tip letter from S&W, & bought it on the first day available at a dealer in Pa.

The cylinder is stainless, but a friend , after shooting mine, went down & bought a 6" three weeks later, & he got the aluminum cylinder. Actually I would not have bought the aluminum one. His finish & color looked mis-matched, & I really didn't care for it !

I no longer have any "lockable" S&W's.

Back