S&W 617 Revolver

glenspen

Is there anything I should know about the S&W Model 617? The only 22LR gun I have is a 10/22 rifle

I want to improve my accuracy with my 686 so I am thinking about getting a 617 so I can plink away and work on my trigger control cheaply

Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

My 617 is my favorite gun. I've shot thousands of rounds out of it and it keeps on shooting great. I've also shot many thousands of rounds from my .38 revolvers. The biggest difference is the price of the ammo.

You have to consider how many rounds you will be firing and will the cost of .22s add up to the cost of your .38. If you don't think you will save that much just shoot light loaded .38s. Reloading is a good choice but recently I calculated that it's as expensive to make your own as it is to buy it. Even if you cast your own bullets, between the cost of lead and electricity the price come so close to loaded ammo that you better enjoy reloading as a second hobby.

As a competition shooter I was firing close to 25000 rounds a year out of my centerfire revolvers. I fell in love with the cheaper to shoot 617 and now shoot it for Steel Challenge matches.

kMw5ZSz.jpg

I want to improve my accuracy with my 686 so I am thinking about getting a 617 so I can plink away and work on my trigger control cheaply

Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Having a 22 version of a similar style centerfire gun always sounds reasonable to me.:) With that said when I bought my first 686 back in 1987 I ended up reloading not too long after and loaded quite a few 38s to finally learn to shoot without flinching.

Still have 22lr models of a few other guns.

An S&W 617 is on my bucket list. I'd get the 10 shot if given a choice.

AzShooter, I really like the look of yours.

The S&W 617 is a little bit expensive but IMhO it's a sweet shooting revolver and with a little bit of care you'll be able to shoot it a *lot* and then pass it down to the next shooter in your family someday and they'll be able to do the same.

A lot of times I think maybe get a Ruger because I really like Ruger firearms
https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1757.html
but the S&W, IMhO, just has a little more class and I'm starting to think like maybe a person should realize they better make the most of what they've got while they still got it.

Good luck.

You can't go wrong owning a nice .22lr revolver. I have, and have had, a good number of them over the years including the 617. That being said, if you reload you can shoot your 686 for about the same price if you use cast/swaged bullets and powders like Unique or Bullseye and use target 38Spl loads in your .357 brass......or just use 38Spl brass. It's really cheap to load centerfire rounds.

Had the same plan. Bought a 617 4" some time ago to shoot with my 686, which was my SD and range gun. Similar guns with same grips and .22 was a lot cheaper to shoot. Stopped shooting at that time and never fired the 617. They make a nice pair.

Howdy

I am biased. I think the full length under barrel lug S&W is putting on most of their revolvers these days is butt ugly. I bought this Model 617-6 used a few years ago. It was made in 2003. It shoots pretty good, but it is very muzzle heavy.

model617-6_zps562f28e0.jpg

I much prefer the older Smiths.

I bought this Model 17-3 brand-spanky new in 1975.

Model_17-3%2002_zpsiu3tfov5.jpg

I found this K-22 Combat Masterpiece (Pre Model 18) from 1953 a couple of years ago.

k22%20combat%20masterpiece%2002_zpspn9uhwgq.jpg

This K-22 Masterpiece is from 1950.

k22%20masterpiece%20pre%20model%2017%2002_zpsgvbmj6f3.jpg

But this worn old K-22 Outdoorsman from 1932 outshoots them all.

K%2022%201932%2001_zpsvyvgivt0.jpg

Nothing wrong with the current 617, but there are still lots of terrific used S&W K-22s and Model 17s out there.

Is there anything I should know about the S&W Model 617? I want to improve my accuracy with my 686 so I am thinking about getting a 617 so I can plink away and work on my trigger control cheaply
Yes, $800 would buy a lot of 38 Spcl. target ammo to actually learn on your 686.
Or for a fraction of the cost of a 617 you could get a reasonably priced reloading set up, and have a lifetime of low cost 38 Spcl. and even 357 Magnum.
But hey, if it's an excuse to buy another gun, and you don't mind the price, go for it!:D

A nice .22lr revolver is always great to have. I hope Colt would reintroduce a modernized .22lr Diamondback, but the 617 is a great choice.

If you reload, you can shoot very light .38 Specials in your 686 until you get a 617.

A rimfire understudy is a great idea. Can't beat it.

Yes, $800 would buy a lot of 38 Spcl. target ammo to actually learn on your 686.

Yeah right. 2000 rounds of 38 special will cost you roughly $750. 2000 rounds of 22 long rifle about $120. YOOGE difference! How many hours at the reloading bench to load the 500 rounds you can buy for $30? Sorry to burst your bubble but long term nothing beats a 22 long rifle.

2000 rounds of 22 long rifle about $120.
Plus the $800 to buy the gun he wants to use to learn how to shoot the gun he already has.:eek:
How many hours at the reloading bench to load the 500 rounds
Well, maybe not for everybody, but I enjoy my relaxing time at the loading bench.
But like I said, if it's an excuse to buy another gun, why not? I've used more lame excuses s than his.:D

Not lame at all but actually very wise. There is no substitute for cheap trigger time.

Sorry but financially, your argument falls on its face in no time flat. Right now a lot of 22 ammo is on clearance at Midway. Order a case of 525 bulk packs for $200. That's 5250 rounds, which would be $2000 for cheap 38 special factory loads. Or if you handload you'd spend almost $400 just for cheap cast bullets. In the first case of ammo you've netted $1200 and you didn't have to spend 20 hours at the reloading bench to do it. Your logic is too simplistic and superficial.

Learning to shoot or honing your skills and the enjoyment of handloading are two different things. Time is money and the time saved from not reloading 22's can be time spent shooting. :rolleyes:

But you also miss my point completely. I enjoy my time at the loading bench. I don't consider it a waste one bit. In fact I have even taken an extra gun to the range when my first pryority was shooting something else. Just to shoot up some reloads I had so I could load some mote. Tends to get me a lot more trigger time that way.
I didn't mean the OP had a lame excuse for buying the 617, but rather that I have come up with some dandies!:D
I think the difference in our thinking is that you are in the "guns are only a tool" camp. While I see the usefulness of purpose I also recognize, and enjoy the recreational aspect. Not only of guns, but handloading as well.

The question was not about the enjoyment of handloading.

I think the difference in our thinking is that you are in the "guns are only a tool" camp.

100% wrong. I enjoy shooting. Handloading is just a necessary chore, like mowing the yard. There is absolutely no way a centerfire can ever compete with the 22 long rifle for cheap, plentiful, worry-free, pure shooting enjoyment. No matter how much one might enjoy handloading. There are only so many hours in the day.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Great debate about costs of shooting.

I'm just headed out to DROS the 617!

I currently don't own a 22LR handgun so this should be a good starting place

You made the right decision, glenspen. Just curious though: If you were buying the gun in Ohio, you could take it home with you within minutes of the transaction. How long of a wait does a citizen from California have to make before he/she can legally possess the gun?

Back