S&W 460 XVR

Holding the gun with a death grip isn't correct form. Loosen up a bit and it won't be so bad. Roll with the recoil.
I'm the last person in the world who should judge another's handgun technique--but I had the same thought when I watched the vid.

We have a 460, 8 3/8" barrel. I shot 4" Smith 29s that were more unpleasant than the 460. This is a heavy revolver and it takes up a lot of the recoil due to the weight. I am 67 and have no problems with the recoil but you want good ear protection. Bottom line is short of maybe a Freedom Arms revolver, this thing is about the most accurate revolver you can get. It will shoot groups under 2" @ 100 yards.

Handload
34965418050_099293b542_o.jpg

Used ftx bullets? i have lots of them but it's been hard for me making them shoot reliably consistent out of anything--I often get better results with Lehigh xtreme penetrators. Great shooting!

Last edited:
I had the best accuracy with the 200s. The 240 XTP-Mag shows promise as I was getting vertical stringing which usually means fine tuning the powder charge will likely help. IMHO once the groups go round, you need to move on from powder charge weight; seating depth, etc. The 240s were still respectable around 3" @ 100 yds. It was about this time I got sidetracked with a NOE 265 cast bullet that was showing promise but I need to do more testing. As an aside, if you are shooting a bunch from the bench, put something under your elbow as it will get dragged on the bench some.

52645581851_e67ed5345e_o.jpg
52645835894_efd0b3fde2_o.jpg

Nice set-up there (I know what your talking about on elbow rash). Another question if I may--looks like you're using a Leupold pistol scope, how well do you find it performs; not just from the bench but also freehand shooting? Finding a good scope to work well on a pistol isn't easy in my experience. XTP's are great bullets and usually my go-to for handgun reloads when possible.

Last edited:
IMhO you should seriously consider the 460.

With the 'right' ammunition it might not be too bad and again, IMhO, with the price of ammo for the 460 being what it is and the fact the revolver lets you easily recover your brass you'll probably wind up reloading for the gun anyway so you can make whatever ammunition you want.

All that said, maybe you want to take a look at S&W's newest X-Frame in 350 Legend.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-350

A seven-shot X-Frame (the 460 is only a five-shot) that is apparently pretty easy on recoil.

Disclaimer: I just found out about this gun last night---it's on the cover of the latest American Rifleman magazine.

I messed around with the 350 L when it was first rolled out and still have (too) many guns in it--not the slightest bit interested in it.:) The majority of my ammo used is hand-loads so if I can find brass--or form it--I'm good.

Holding the gun with a death grip isn't correct form. Loosen up a bit and it won't be so bad. Roll with the recoil.

As I stated above, the recoil isn’t the issue, it is the concussion that rattled my teeth and jaw. Where I was shooting may have partially contributed. But as a FIRST revolver I remain firmly in the no camp.

I managed the recoil just fine if you watched the video.

But as a FIRST revolver I remain firmly in the no camp.
What I said was first S&W revolver--I've shot 41 and 44 mag blackhawks for years. I also have a single-shot handgun in 6.5 creedmoor--it too is LOUD.;) Not that I lust after guns that pound my ear drums and hands--most "big bang" cartridges I shoot it's usually a question of finding the sweet spot hold to optimize accuracy while minimizing self-abuse.

.... Another question if I may--looks like you're using a Leupold pistol scope, how well do you find it performs; not just from the bench but also freehand shooting? ....

I have had good service from Leupold and Burris pistol scopes. I had one issue with a single Leupold (can't even remember what it was now) that they fixed under warranty. All of the Burris scopes I used were made in the USA and never had an issue with any of them. I competed in what now is called precision pistol with a Gil Hebard Burris that never gave me any problems and it was adjusted just about every match. Never a problem and it always tracked accurately.

I have had good service from Leupold and Burris pistol scopes. I had one issue with a single Leupold (can't even remember what it was now) that they fixed under warranty. All of the Burris scopes I used were made in the USA and never had an issue with any of them. I competed in what now is called precision pistol with a Gil Hebard Burris that never gave me any problems and it was adjusted just about every match. Never a problem and it always tracked accurately.
Thanks for that--the reason I ask is that it gets a little tricky with eye relief vs how far out you hold the gun and getting a good image. I use both Burris and Leupolds on my rifles and they are good performers.

I would have a used Freedom Arms all day over a new S&W.

Of course that is single action vs. double action, but I can't see the difference when talking big bore handguns.

My experience was with the FA Model 83 in 454 Casull was very positive. In the end, I traded it and kept my .44 Mag Bowen custom Blackhawk, but only because the Blackhawk was lighter and more practical for my shooting, once I was done with my 'more boom!' phase.

I just don't hear people waxing poetic about the S&W and when you're paying that much for lead, why not have something really special to throw them with?

Let's forget about the felt-recoil issue for the moment and assume that I am a masterly bionic stud and can handle any cartridge recoil.:D I've also been taking a look at magnum research's BFR revolvers as an alternative, any opinions as to a qualitative comparison between them and S&W? Thanks.

I was going to suggest looking at a BFR. I know they have come in 460 S&W in the past, although I couldn’t find that caliber listed on the website currently. BFR production is actually a pretty small operation involving just a handful of skilled workers. Each pistol final assembly is handled by one person who signs his work. They now have custom ordering, so you can go to the site, fill out a custom order with exactly what you want and they will build it. I would recommend the Bisley grip frame. Even though I own double action big magnum revolvers, I almost always shoot them single action. So the BFR is a good choice. I’ll include a link to a BFR Custom Shop review.

https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/custom-magnum-research-bfr-review/370524

I was going to suggest looking at a BFR. I know they have come in 460 S&W in the past, although I couldn’t find that caliber listed on the website currently. BFR production is actually a pretty small operation involving just a handful of skilled workers. Each pistol final assembly is handled by one person who signs his work. They now have custom ordering, so you can go to the site, fill out a custom order with exactly what you want and they will build it. I would recommend the Bisley grip frame. Even though I own double action big magnum revolvers, I almost always shoot them single action. So the BFR is a good choice. I’ll include a link to a BFR Custom Shop review.
Thanks for that--I've already been on their custom shop order site and have been perusing their offerings. My revolvers have all been single shot so that doesn't bother me, though a swing-out cylinder is kinda nice. Agree on the Bisley grip too.

Back