S&W 442-1 Airweight Ammo

This "shortage" seems strange to me. It seems like...it's taken a long time to get the supply back up...like...something else is amiss rather than just capacity. I've heard that, it's not really capacity as much as it is transportation. Strange Times!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Reloading is easy enough, but it is an investment up front, and it takes time and you need a place to work. Currently some supplies are difficult to get a hold of, mainly primers.

If your thinking about reloading, just make sure to start saving your brass.

I have worked up a couple very nice loads for my snubbie. I can shoot them all day without my hand hurting.

you can get a basic startup set for reloading under $250.

I am reloading with current prices for about $11 per 50rnds of 38spl.

for supplies
most are available, but primers are a struggle.
powder
primers
brass
bullets

Vista (CCI/Speer, Federal, Remington, Estate) can't make enough money off 9mm right now. No reason to run low run/production rounds.

Vista states in their public financials that they expect Q4 to be bigger than their highest ever Q3 (this most recent quarter). It was so much profit they broke ammo into it's own reporting section.

Summer has always busted ammo prices. Every single year. Except last year and probably this year.

Expect 38/357 ONLY American made ammo to continue to be a problem. Not true of forgein which as always been available, though priced high due to US retailers gouging. (S&B, Fioicchi, Norma, etc).

But it might also get worse for foreign. Beretta bought Ruag this month. Ruag is the Vista EU equivalent. So EU rounds might shoot up in price as Beretta tries the US model of blaming everything but profit for price increase.

Nothing to do with politics, price of commodities, labor, conspiracies. It's all publicly reported in required financials. None of those have indexed to any inflation, yet that's all Vista talks about. You are paying more because you will pay more and Northrup appreciates your money being theirs.

Don't expect 2nd largest US ammo company Winchester to save 38/357. They are currently shipping to Australia most of their goods under contract.

https://markets.businessinsider.com...ird-quarter-fy22-financial-results-1031157849

Last edited:
I've been carrying Speer Gold Dot 135-gr. +P in my S&W 042 Centennial Airweight for almost 20 years now.

Overall a very good round.

Back